No one agrees on anything.

LibbyCecil

Location (City and/or State)
Winnemucca Nevada
"Use spring mix" "you can't use that, it has spinach!" "Spinach is fine in moderation" "no spinach EVER!"

This is a small example of many, many disagreements about the proper husbandry for sulcatas and probably many other kinds of tortoises. :-/
Thinking about swearing off tortoise FB pages.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
There is more then one way to do a lot of things. However, from what I have heard about FB and the tort people there, well I wouldn't leave this forum for reliable info and I have never heard much good about FB except the forum members trying to educate those that aren't forum members and it hasn't worked. Stick to the advice here and you and your tort will be much better off

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Sorry to hear you are frustrated. This is the down side of the internet…

Sometimes it helps to consider the source. Anybody can loudly voice and opinion on the internet, but not everyone has decades of tortoise experience to back up their assertions.

I have heard that a lot of people are frustrated with FB tortoise pages. I don't do FB and I really don't even no how it works, so I'm not frustrated at all. :)

I don't know if this will help, but here is a thread on what to feed small sulcatas, and there is no spinach or spring mix mentioned in there:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
you know the old saying there's more than one way to skin a cat but they're all messy. I follow the advice of people who have good looking healthy tortoises most on Facebook are not you know

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I found the conflicting information frustrating also. I don't go on Facebook but I did do a lot of Internet searching for information before and right after I got my tortoise. I figured out this is the best place and I don't look anywhere else now.

LibbyCecil

Winnemucca Nevada
I just get so frustrated. I have been doing so much research, and using some wouldn't you know it, common sense to educate myself just to run into very rude people who refuse to have an adult conversation about things. Very stubborn people, ones who say things like "humidity is not a natural thing for a dry land tortoise and in the wild they do in fact pyramid, sand and wind just wear it down".... :-| oh. My. Lanta. Lol sorry to vent. Just grr arg!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I just get so frustrated. I have been doing so much research, and using some wouldn't you know it, common sense to educate myself just to run into very rude people who refuse to have an adult conversation about things. Very stubborn people, ones who say things like "humidity is not a natural thing for a dry land tortoise and in the wild they do in fact pyramid, sand and wind just wear it down".... :-| oh. My. Lanta. Lol sorry to vent. Just grr arg!

Unbelievable. With just a few sentences I could really help that person understand reality, but they would have to be willing to hear it… So sad for their tortoises.

LibbyCecil

Winnemucca Nevada
Unbelievable. With just a few sentences I could really help that person understand reality, but they would have to be willing to hear it… So sad for their tortoises.

I wish I could have.. I mean I COULD have, it was difficult for me to hold my own, because I "haven't had a sulcata as long"

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I wish I could have.. I mean I COULD have, it was difficult for me to hold my own, because I "haven't had a sulcata as long"

Sometimes I consider joining this group because I know I would win all these arguments. The facts are on my side.

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
wind and rain smooth the shells out? seriously did someone actually say that?

LibbyCecil

Winnemucca Nevada
Yes! ( wind and sand**) Wish I had taken a screen shot. I left the group or I would go back and get it, I'm afraid if I requested a membership again I wouldn't be accepted anyways

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Wind and "sand"…

Unfortunately for the person making this assertion, every pic of a wild sulcata that I've seen says otherwise, and so does the founder of the African Chelonian Institute who was born and raised in Senegal and has been studying wild sulcatas his whole life. Perhaps Tomas might actually know a thing or two about what really happens with wild sulcatas…

I wonder how windy it is 10 meters below the surface in a wild sulcata burrow...

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
oh yes wind and sand how foolish of me :)

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
I knew there is a reason I hate Facebook. Sometimes I feel like a dinosaur, the only one I know that does not have an account to there. Oh well.

I'm kinda a dinosaur with you. I had a FB for 2 mos. and decided it was meh, bleh and deleted me-self.
Twitter, Pinterest and TFO for me. Oh, and YouTube.
You get older, wiser and your time is limited. FB was a bit too much. Plus it's more to reconnect with your past. Who cares about the past? It's over!

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I'm kinda a dinosaur with you. I had a FB for 2 mos. and decided it was meh, bleh and deleted me-self.
Twitter, Pinterest and TFO for me. Oh, and YouTube.
You get older, wiser and your time is limited. FB was a bit too much. Plus it's more to reconnect with your past. Who cares about the past? It's over!
There's not much of my past I want to connect with. I did download the Pinterest app yesterday. I needed some chicken coop ideas.