Night box in the works

Eburg85

Location (City and/or State)
Pomona, CA
No. Too cold. 80 or higher. 85-86 when its cold like this. You need some more heat.
Hmmm. I think it’s because they were out of then Kane mat that I was ordering. You think maybe another Radiant heater?

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Hmmm. I think it’s because they were out of then Kane mat that I was ordering. You think maybe another Radiant heater?
IF all you have is a radian heat panel in the night box, there is no way it can keep temps up over 80° when temps outside are more than 20° colder. The combination of the RHP with the Kane mat is needed. Or - you can go with an oil filled radiator as a heat source. That can keep temps inside the night box easily 50° higher than outside temps the way you built the box following Tom's design. The small 600 watt Oil filled heater you can find at Walmart or Target or online. It has to be on a good thermostat and will only come on a few minutes per hour to keep temps up. This design is also extremely energy efficient.

Reactions: Tom

Eburg85

Pomona, CA
IF all you have is a radian heat panel in the night box, there is no way it can keep temps up over 80° when temps outside are more than 20° colder. The combination of the RHP with the Kane mat is needed. Or - you can go with an oil filled radiator as a heat source. That can keep temps inside the night box easily 50° higher than outside temps the way you built the box following Tom's design. The small 600 watt Oil filled heater you can find at Walmart or Target or online. It has to be on a good thermostat and will only come on a few minutes per hour to keep temps up. This design is also extremely energy efficient.
I actually have a Kane mat in there too. Sorry I should have specified more on my post. They ran out of the larger size that I originally ordered so I went smaller. We had a random dip in temp here that only happens maybe once a year in Cali. 33 degrees at night. Just checked now and the temp is 60 outside and 79 inside the night box. Thinking maybe another radiant heater just incase but not sure.