Next Absess in Box Turtle

[email protected]

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Mobile, Alabama
Neighbor pointed out a turtle that often travels through her yard that had a growth on it's head. I secured the turtle and sure enough there is a large (thumb sized) on it's head/neck left side.

The lump was large enough to interfere with it's ability to close the shell so I've opted for treatment. The mass is hard and there may be a healed wound on the side. Since the turtle is wild it's not real cooperative during examination so that was all I got.

I've contacted a local exotic veterinarian who will see it later today.

Intriguing to me to share the photo.

Attachments

• blue nect absess.jpg
    blue nect absess.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 57

IBeenEasy

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
wow , thats pretty bad, but what a cool thing your doing to take him to check checked out, thats awesome

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
My first thought was tympanic abscess, however, looking at the picture that looks more on the neck than on the ear. Poor turtle. What a stroke of luck for the turtle that your neighbor is on his toes and was able to see this turtle. Good luck at the vet.

1028762jld543t69m.gif

[email protected]

10 Year Member!
Mobile, Alabama
I was thinking that was it but is big enough that it covers his left side head.

My first thought was tympanic abscess, however, looking at the picture that looks more on the neck than on the ear. Poor turtle. What a stroke of luck for the turtle that your neighbor is on his toes and was able to see this turtle. Good luck at the vet.

1028762jld543t69m.gif

WillTort2

5 Year Member
Does the vet think it was a wound that flies laid eggs in or some other cause?

And thanks for your good deed!

[email protected]

10 Year Member!
Mobile, Alabama
The abscess was composed of compacted dirt that was ever so a bit moist. In the wound was about 12 maggots. The whole thing stunk.

What ever happened, the wound (theory follows) got packed with soil every time the turtle burrowed. Here on the coast these Gulf Coast Box turtles are moisture and water lovers so when its not moist and wet they burrow. (Some have observed them to be wanna-be-water-turtles. I can attest to this water loving behavior as the other Gulf Coast Box turtle I am treating [from a horrific dog attack] will choose to soak in it's water for six or more hours a day. )

Back to the abscessed turtle, the wound sealed up after a time as we could observe the scar and there was no other open wound.

That is the best theory. I have questions about this and could have considered more had the veterinarian allowed me to watch the procedure, observe the inside of the wound, and seen all the items that came out of the wound. Maggots have a set growth cycle. There could not be fly maggots inside after a certain time period as they would have grown into the final stage of development, i.e. a fly. (any disagreement there?)

[email protected]

10 Year Member!
Mobile, Alabama
If I had seen the procedure I could have ID the maggots...that is to say I can ID about six type of common maggot larva and if those maggots she removed was in that list I could. If it was not one I was familiar with I certainly would taken a sample to get it ID.

I do love our veterinarians and other rescue people but when they exclude me from the most important procedures it isn't helpful to me.

Everywhere I've lived I've been privileged to all type of procedures and "in the back office" procedures as I was respected as very knowledgeable, if not more knowledgeable than most of their back of office staff. Since I moved to Mobile I am kept out of all procedures. Not sure how to get them to allow me access.