Newly rescued

lukie_p

Hello,

I've just rescued this 10 year old boy, the previous owner had no paperwork for him and maintained she had had him for different periods of time.
The past being the past I want to get him better and happy again.

He's very slow moving, missing several nails and however his shell feels in good condition.

In terms of treating his feet does anyone have any recommendations? I've been told to buy some videne? Would anyone use anything else as well?
He's eating properly and as its not good weather today he's under a big U3 light and I've put calcium on his food hoping to help if the nails have dropped from calcium issues.

Thank you luke
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1465032031.373778.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1465032044.690569.jpg

lukie_p

Hello,

I've just rescued this fella and wanted some help re his missing nails.
I think it's lack of calcium but does anyone have any suggestions on how else I could treat him?
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1465036369.417237.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1465036383.663970.jpg

Linhdan Nguyen

Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
Poor little thing. His shell does look like its in good condition though, and i trust the shell is hard? As for the nails I'm not sure, i'm still new to caring for tortoises. But I remember from a previous thread that sometimes a tortoise nail will not grow back after having fallen off. so all you can do it take care of him and wait to see. I have a russian tortoise that has a dead nail on his rear leg. It's cloudy and looks cracked. It has not grown at all since I've had him for the 4 months. All his other nails have grown a little.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
A warm welcome to the forum, and congrats after having rescued that poor tort!

Please read the "Beginners Mistakes" Thread and the care sheets that are available. ;)

By the way where do you live and what of the climate? Please keep in mind that warmth, humidity and daily soaks in warm water, are very important for torts, particularly if you live in cold/dry countries. And of course a good diet.:)

GingerLove

5 Year Member
I haven't cared for a sick tortoise... but I use "cuttle bones" (I don't know how to spell it) for mine to chew on to get calcium, which I assume would help your tortoise with his nails. They are often used for birds to chew on, but my tort eats them too.
And welcome! What's your little fella's name?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I haven't cared for a sick tortoise... but I use "cuttle bones" (I don't know how to spell it) for mine to chew on to get calcium, which I assume would help your tortoise with his nails. They are often used for birds to chew on, but my tort eats them too.
And welcome! What's your little fella's name?
Your spelling is perfect. :)

Cuttlebone - which comes from cuttlefish - is full of calcium and it helps with beak maintenance. Some torts ignore them completely, but many will chew them.

You will find it in the bird aisle of a pet store as they're commonly given to budgerigars. Just get plain white cuttlebone. I've seen coloured and flavoured ones recently and dread to think what they'd do to a tortoise.

lukie_p

We've named him Bruce. I've put him on calcium dust and will get a cuttlebone for him too.
He's really not very active but hopefully within the week he'll be up and about better.
I live in England, weather outside is hit and miss still but will be moving him outside soon :)

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
We've named him Bruce. I've put him on calcium dust and will get a cuttlebone for him too.
He's really not very active but hopefully within the week he'll be up and about better.
I live in England, weather outside is hit and miss still but will be moving him outside soon :)
Nice to have another Brit on board @lukie_p :) I am in Kent

Have you been read the TFO guides which will be helpful?

Beginner Mistakes
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Hermann's Care Guide
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/sticky-hermanns-tortoise-care-sheet-updated.101410/