Not open for further replies.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
So I get a phone call about a box turtle that was in the dog's mouth. They had found this box turtle towards the beginning of summer and had it in its own habitat, but it kept escaping into the yard. The dog never paid it any attention. But yesterday the dog was chewing it. Can't afford to take it to the vet and will I take it.

This is a little 3-toe box turtle about 2 years old, maybe 3. The whole back edge of the shell is missing, but that's not a bad injury...not even bleeding. But on the under-side, in front of the left front leg there's a piece of plastron that is only holding on by the tissue in front of the leg. There are two puncture wounds on the carapace behind the head. He was drinking so I only took one picture:

9-18-11rescue43.jpg

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Poor little guy, just goes to show no matter how good a dog or cat is around a tortoise or turtle anything can happen. Glad you got him now Yvonne....

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Poor little guy. He is so lucky you could take him. What will happen to the part of the plastron that is only hanging to tissue?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It will die and fall off, but because I'm not a vet and can't do surgery, I'll have to find a way to immobilize it so his front leg stops making it move. Still thinking about that one. If I had dental adhesive I could use that. Maybe a drop of super glue. I'll work on it while I sleep tonight and hopefully come up with a solution in the a.m.

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
Awww, he so cute!! Why do people trust their dogs? It makes me so mad! He is one lucky guy now.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Poor baby. He has the same markings as my two year old Bindi (three toed). I hope you can think of something and he will heal well Yvonne. Keep us posted.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
It's a good thing the people noticed the dog with his "chew" before more damage was done.

M

Maggie Cummings

I really like that they won't pay for the damage their dog did, but you who try to live on Social Security has to pay for any damage. I know you don't like to take them to a Vet but maybe you'll get a donation to help pay for it. I am sorry you have to repair someone else's problem. If you had posted a picture of the plastron damage maybe we could have helped with ideas...

DixieParadise

5 Year Member
Georgetown, TX
Yvonne...I have enough on my plate with my vet visit tomorrow...but let me know if there is anything we can do to help you out. If anyone can get him back on the road to recovery it is you.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Here's a couple more pictures of the little box turtle. She's about 2" from front to back. As you can see, all her marginal scutes in the back are gone:

9-18-11rescue43-3.jpg

And here is the damage to the plastron. The little section right above the front leg on the left side of the picture is the loose section.

9-18-11rescue43-2.jpg

Little box turtles (and water turtles too) are just so resilient. I've taken in some wild pond turtles with healed horrific damage...injuries that obviously occurred in the wild, and the turtles healed up with no antibiotics and in dirty water just fine! My new little gal has already eaten a worm this a.m. And here she is in a new home after having been used as a chew toy. Hopefully she will continue to do well in spite of being treated with antibiotics and kept in hygienic conditions!! :p

Status
Not open for further replies.