Found Baby Eastern Box Turtle, No back leg, mushed front paw

Status
Not open for further replies.

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Orange County, So Cal
Well, I just think it's magical that your hubby found this baby in the nick of time and that you found this forum. Lots of great people here to help you help him/her. What a precious little thing. Wish I was a pet psychic to know his back story. I am glad you found each other! : )

Vickie

5 Year Member
Humm I don't know I might think about a vet if I were you. Could be an allergy....a flesh illness a type of bug? However, what ever it is (maybe someone else will know) however, I cannot imagine it will be on his overall health. I sure hope he gets better....what a though little guy.

zman7590

5 Year Member
so sad!!! i found a paint one time with string around his shell (dont ask how or why it stayed so long) but i cut it off and his shell looked like a peanut shape from it being on so long....sad but it survived!

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
No, they don't eat their own feet, but they are known to eat each others' feet or tails when they are hungry and not too particular about moving objects. Many animals eat turtles.

If the sites are open to infection, you'll want a clean environment. You can use antibiotic ointment on a clean wound or a diluted Bernadine soak.

Barnes31

5 Year Member
Chattanooga TN
johnsonnboswell said:
No, they don't eat their own feet, but they are known to eat each others' feet or tails when they are hungry and not too particular about moving objects. Many animals eat turtles.

If the sites are open to infection, you'll want a clean environment. You can use antibiotic ointment on a clean wound or a diluted Bernadine soak.

Thanks for the advice, can you tell me what a Bernadine soak is? I googled it but am coming up with nothing. Also, when you say clean environment, how do you mean? Should I take the baby out of the substrate? It doesn't seem like the area would be open to infection, seems like where the scab is coming off it's pink thin skin that has healed, but if the scab happens to come completely off then that may be another issue. I just don't know!

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
I believe that's mouse damage. They will eat toes and feet of hibernating turtles. It looks to me to be almost healed.

katelyn0974

5 Year Member
Paradise
Oh man he/she is so cute. Like above users have mentioned he/she Is so lucky to have found you. You're a blessing to that turtle. :D hoping for a great recovery!

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
That should have read betadine. Auto correct wants Bernadine to get involved. It is heavily diluted in water to the color of weak tea. If the healing has progressed to new skin you don't need to soak or have a clean hospital tank - damp towel.

Barnes31

5 Year Member
Chattanooga TN
Update**RE: Found Baby Eastern Box Turtle, No back leg, mushed front paw

Just a quick update, Our baby is thriving and healing wonderfully. His scab on his front leg has come off but you can tell he is still tender in using that leg to walk on. He eats so much food everyday I'm beginning to ask myself if this is normal? He's so tiny and puts away insect after insect as well as some turtle food tablets I hope I'm not feeding him to much! So I supposed my question today is, should I be rousing him from where he's burrowed himself in his habitat to eat and soak? Our day goes like this:

I take him out of where he hides under the substrate and put him in a makeshift container with some substrate in it to get some sun. While he's sunning, I get his water ready to soak. Once he's been in the sun for about 30 minutes, I take him to his warm water and let him play around in there to his hearts content. This is when I drop several of the turtle tabs in the water for him for swim around and fish out, he seems to like the activity and it helps him exercise his hurt limb. Then he poops a pretty big size turd so I take him out and feed him 3 crickets, 6-8 meal worms, and sometimes an entire earthworm! This is just an example of the amount of food this little one is putting away. Of course we diversify the variety of what he's eating but it just seems like a lot of food for him. Then he hauls shell back to his hiding spot and stays there till the next day.

So should I be rousing him or should I wait till he comes out looking for food and water and sun? Or am I doing this right?

I kind of believe he's still scared from being hurt (missing back leg, hurt front paw) and that's why he stays hid.

Any advice would really be appreciated!

Status
Not open for further replies.