KelseyVlat

Location (City and/or State)
Anaheim
Hello all!

I recently joined this forum the other day, and wanted to introduce myself. My name is Kelsey and I live in Southern California.

I’m the proud owner of a 20 year old Texas Box Tortoise (I think that’s what she is, a vet suggested it), but recently rescued a tiny adorable baby tortoise from a friend who found it wondering the streets outside her apartment...I’m getting confirmation Friday, but after much googling am convinced it’s a African Spurred Tortoise.

When we adopted our big girl (Shelly) she was already full grown and ready to roam our backyard as she pleased. She’s a happy girl!

Since I have ZERO experience in raising a baby tortoise I found this forum to aid me in answering whatever questions I may have.

Thank you!

D562CE48-4BA5-40C1-A269-12DB49AEEC0C.jpeg 351255D7-77A6-4946-9463-9D482633BE19.jpeg 835F82D8-1F95-4BB0-97A5-704F4F4A408F.jpeg

TriciaStringer

5 Year Member
Louisiana
Welcome! The little one is a sulcata. Definitely start soaking her daily because she’s likely dehydrated. The pyramiding on her shell is caused from being raised too dry. Check the posts in the sulcata section. They have just about everything listed that you will need and how to care for her.
Have fun with your torts!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi and welcome!

If your "Texas Box Tortoise" is the one shown in the last picture, then you have a desert tortoise (Gopherus agassizii), not from Texas, but rather from the Mojave desert.