nrocha

5 Year Member
Hi, All I am a new owner in KS of two baby RES turtles. Both are very small approx. 2 to 2 1/2 inches. I have done quite a bit of research and hope I am on the right track. I purchased from some man on the side of the road without knowing anything about them. I was given turtle sticks, a plastic container, told to feed them 1/2 a stick once a week, and that they could live in the tank ( ie. plastic container) indefinitely. I know see that this guy was a joke should have been obvious but they were so cute

So to the point I have set up a tank 10 gallon, with a filter, and heat which I monitor at 77 degrees in the water, they have a basking area with heat at 90 degrees . I am going to order a UVB/UVA/heating lamp it is a dual lamp with a 50 W Turtle Tuff Halogen Lamp and a 13 W Reptisun 5.0 UVB Mini Compact Fluorescent. I will take off the current heating light I have to replace with the new fixture. MY QUESTION: is this good to much, not enough? On to feeding I feed them every day one is a healthy eater the other not so much. I feed them the turtle stick that I was given SANYU turtle sticks and FLUKERS freeze dried mealworms I have offered celery, tomatoes, and romaine lettuce but they are not at all interested. I feed them away from the home in the original plastic container and I have purchased another for individual feeding and to be able to monitor them I only given what can be eaten in 10 min. vs. the usual 15 because of the heavy eater. The healthy eater has expanded or puffed up. In between the shell patterns there are the thin lines king of like you would find in tiles and grout. These lines are doubled in size and seem colorless. So I don't know is it over feeding, also I have rocks on the bottom, could he have eaten some and what do I do planning on removing rocks today, is it lack of UVB lights. He (do not really know if it is a boy but this one has a shorter tail then the other) seems normal otherwise swims, basks, has a hard shell and eats. Thanks for any advise and help.

Attachments

• picture121.jpg
    picture121.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 17
  • picture122.jpg
    picture122.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 18
  • picture131.jpg
    picture131.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 13
  • picture125.jpg
    picture125.jpg
    172.4 KB · Views: 12
  • picture130.jpg
    picture130.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 13
  • picture120.jpg
    picture120.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 14

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
Welcome to the Forum and this has to be one of my fav turtles....GIGANTIC personalities and they are like the goldfish of the turtle world--they will eat and eat until they roll over from their gorging..so you have to resist their water show every time you pass their tank....lol

The set up sounds good for awhile...do you also add chlorine remover/tap water treatment to the new water--I do, even though I am on well water it just makes me feel better (queen of OCD here :p)..

They are beautiful...oh yeah, when they are little they are more meat eaters (worms, crickets and the like) and as they age they will show interest moreso in the greens than when they are little...good save by the way..

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Compact florescents can burn reptile eyes. I wouldn't use one. Real sunshine is best. Can you set up a kiddie pool with a basking spot and screen cover? If not, florescent tubes or mercury vapor bulbs will work.

Also, be prepared to separate them. Pairs seldom work out. This might be why one is growing and the other is not.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:). Ditto to what ascott already said. They will need a bigger aquarium soon though. When they are more adult size, they will need a very large aquarium or pond. Also, they need to be in water to swallow/ eat their food and you will need a very good filter, they dirty a tank quickly. They will need to be able to get out of the water and bask under a UVB bulb. The Mercury Vapor bulbs work good or if they have one that is better for hanging over water and possibly getting splattered would be best, with a fluorescent UVB bulb. Do not use any of the cheaper coil type bulbs, they cause eye problems.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi "N", and welcome to the Forum!

I'm not a big fan of those dual fixtures. Just buy one, a single fixture, and put a regular light bulb in it. Position the fixture over the docking area. If you feel your baby RES need UVB (they DO get some of these benefits from their food), then use a tube-type flourescent, but NOT the compact spiral bulb, which can harm baby turtles' eyes.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello and welcome to the TFO
Don't worry about the spacing on the shell it means the turtle is getting
Ready to shed and that's ok but don't feed celery to the turtles no food value
In celery and wile they are little if you
Want them to eat romain lettuce put
One or two sml ( real sml ) parts of lettuce in they are like baby's if one
Wants it then the other will eat it
Then give them a insect for a treat
With the reward they will learn to eat
Veggies but they still need insects with