2 Red Ear Slider Hatchlings

kvolz84

Location (City and/or State)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Hello All,
I am new here. I purchased two red ear sliders on Monday. I have had cats, dogs, and fish before but never a turtle or any reptile. These turtles were being sold illegally (turtles must have a 4inch shell to be sold in the United States) I purchased them in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 2 for $15. They came in a cheap little hermit crab/goldfish container (ever won a goldfish at a fair? A plastic container like that) 2 turtles for $15? What a deal! Haha. Until the car ride home when I started reading about all they need. 10gallon terrarium for every inch they grow, domes, different light bulbs, vitamins, water conditioner, food, and eye drops, a basking area.....gets expensive. I noticed one hatchlings eyes wouldn't open. A quick google search and I realized he couldn't eat if he couldn't see and could have been sick. So I separated the turtles and put one in a tupperware container. I found 2 used tanks today on Craigslist. I got both a 55gallon tank and a 75 gallon tank for $150. I still need screens but I bought a dome and 2 different bulbs. I scrubbed the tanks with Dawn (since they were used) and I plan on setting the 75gallon tank up tomorrow. I set the UVB lamp up hanging off a table for now and went to change the turtles water and put the small containers under the UVB lamp. The healthy turtle seemed a little less active but okay. The turtle with the swollen eyes will not move. I put the eye drops on both turtles (just in case the healthy turtle was exposed to any fungus or bacteria when he was in the container with the sick turtle) and put hatchling pellets and water conditioner in with them. They are sitting under the UVB lamp now. Is my non moving hatchling dead? I read wild turtles can sometimes hibernate and slow their metabolism so I am hoping he is doing something like that since he probably hasn't been eating. Also, being as though my hatchlings have probably never been exposed to proper lightening before, how long should I leave the basking and the UVB lights on for? Should I start with a few hours and gradually increase it each day? Thanks!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
The one with closed/puffy eyes is more than likely fighting a RI, good move on separating them. The sick one prob. won't make it, and that small most vets won't treat. The eye drops are not needed, clean tank/water should prevent any fungus issues. A 10 to 12 hour light cycle is usual.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello and welcome to the TFO from AZ. The little ones are so cute . Be careful turtles and torts are addicting ! You get one and you want more !

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

The best thing for your little sick baby (if its still alive) is to have it in a small container and keep it warm - about 85F degrees. It would be good to only have enough water to cover the shell...very shallow so he doesn't have to work to get to the top to breathe. You can buy water soluble Terramycin powder at a feed store. It's for swine, but you can use it for any animal. Put a quarter teaspoon into a quart of warm water and allow the baby to soak in there for about an hour each day for about a week. Don't worry about feeding him. He won't eat until his eyes are open. Good luck with him. I hope he makes it.