aevagiddeon

Location (City and/or State)
Virginia
First time tortoise parent. Ahhhh looks like we did everything wrong. Except the amount of space . I think 30 gallons long is a good tank size for a 3-4 inch little redfoot?

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Hello and welcome!

Don't worry, many new keepers here were confused by conflicting information from the pet shops and Internet and had started with a totally wrong setups (me as well). Just start fixing the things and you'll get lively, happy, thriving tortoise.

As for the redfoots, first of all you need to handle humidity/temperature thing and related stuff like soaking routine, substrate and such.

You can check this care sheet for redfoots and are welcome to ask any questions you might have:

With a 30 gallon tank - it can last for a while, but it's not large at all. Tortoises need lots of walking space (like a single/1.5 size bed for the small species). There are options to make it quickly and cheap, but right now I would make sure, that tank is properly set up.

Can you post some pictures of the tank and your tortoise and tell a bit more on what heating/lightning do you use, what are temperatures and humidity now?

aevagiddeon

Virginia
Hello and welcome!

Don't worry, many new keepers here were confused by conflicting information from the pet shops and Internet and had started with a totally wrong setups (me as well). Just start fixing the things and you'll get lively, happy, thriving tortoise.

As for the redfoots, first of all you need to handle humidity/temperature thing and related stuff like soaking routine, substrate and such.

You can check this care sheet for redfoots and are welcome to ask any questions you might have:

With a 30 gallon tank - it can last for a while, but it's not large at all. Tortoises need lots of walking space (like a single/1.5 size bed for the small species). There are options to make it quickly and cheap, but right now I would make sure, that tank is properly set up.

Can you post some pictures of the tank and your tortoise and tell a bit more on what heating/lightning do you use, what are temperatures and humidity
I noticed the little tort wasn't moving around at all so we put it in my temp controlled African violet room. The room has a humidifier and grow lights a few hours everyday. I'll get some pictures soon as the family is up for the day. Do you guys have example pictures of tank or enclosure setups? As for tank size, my husband works for a marine science center. He custom makes most of their tanks so we can customize the tortoise tank w no problems.

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
I noticed the little tort wasn't moving around at all so we put it in my temp controlled African violet room. The room has a humidifier and grow lights a few hours everyday. I'll get some pictures soon as the family is up for the day. Do you guys have example pictures of tank or enclosure setups? As for tank size, my husband works for a marine science center. He custom makes most of their tanks so we can customize the tortoise tank w no problems.
Sure:
1. Here you can find "greenhouse top" one. They are inexpensive, but do the job: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/couple-inexpensive-closed-chamber-ideas.211542/
2. Here is my 6x3, just to get an idea. It turned out somewhat troublesome and expensive, but works well for me: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/ikea-runmaro-enclosure-pains-and-gains.211377/
3. Here is PVC made by Animal Plastics. 4x2, I believe: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/official-introduction-of-mojo.208232/ (in the enclosures section there is a guide, how to build your own out of expanded PVC).

For a redfoot you need very high humidity 80+% and temperatures in range of 80-88F, mostly in the 82-84F, without high temp spots.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and welcome,
As well as the Redfoot caresheet specific to your tort, this link also give great general advice
Ask as many questions as you like there are lots of RF keepers here and I'm sure you'll get lots of great advice.

toro

Indonesia/ Jakarta
Oh and the room is about 75 degrees with 45 % humidity.
Hello, I am newbie too. I just have a 2 months old hermanni tortoise. I live in Indonesia where the country is hot, have temperature like 28 celcius but it's not enough for the baby. I watch and following this video and it seems help. Now my baby already healthy, she is eating very well. But I always soak the tortoise everyday and give the real sun at the morning for like an hour. But the cage condition is the one make my tortoise condition is good. here is the link, hope it can help. She is going into 3 months now and doing fine with the cage environment. I use exoterra UVB 13 watt but different style with what in the video. and the UVA is 50 watt. I turn on the lamp from 7 am until 5 p.m. and at night the temperatur in my country only 26 celcius and it's still comfortable for the tortoise. I have ever read that the lowest temperature for them at night is 20 celcius, you can't let the temperature drop more than that, especially for the baby tortoise.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hello, I am newbie too. I just have a 2 months old hermanni tortoise. I live in Indonesia where the country is hot, have temperature like 28 celcius but it's not enough for the baby. I watch and following this video and it seems help. Now my baby already healthy, she is eating very well. But I always soak the tortoise everyday and give the real sun at the morning for like an hour. But the cage condition is the one make my tortoise condition is good. here is the link, hope it can help. She is going into 3 months now and doing fine with the cage environment. I use exoterra UVB 13 watt but different style with what in the video. and the UVA is 50 watt. I turn on the lamp from 7 am until 5 p.m. and at night the temperatur in my country only 26 celcius and it's still comfortable for the tortoise. I have ever read that the lowest temperature for them at night is 20 celcius, you can't let the temperature drop more than that, especially for the baby tortoise.

Hi and welcome but it would be better if you started your own thread in the Introductions then you can get responses and advice specific to you and your tort species.
Just copy your post onto a new post.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

You are using the wrong type of UV bulb, your lights need to be on for at least 12 hours a day, and 20C at night is MUCH too low for the species we are talking about in this thread.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
First time tortoise parent. Ahhhh looks like we did everything wrong. Except the amount of space . I think 30 gallons long is a good tank size for a 3-4 inch little redfoot?
Nope. Got the amount of space wrong too. A 30 gallon is too small for a tiny hatchling. At 3-4 inches it needs much more space than that. In your climate, you are going to need a large closed chamber to grow this tortoise up, so might as well just go straight to the 4x8 foot closed chamber now. If you make something smaller than that, you'll have to make a bigger one within a year most likely.

Its always a bummer when enthusiastic people try to learn and do all the right things, only to find out that the internet and pet stores are all full of nothing but bad info and incorrect product recommendations. I'm sorry that this is happening, but I'm glad that you found us, because now you will get the correct care info and your baby will thrive and be healthy. Welcome to the forum.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

There's quite a difference in taking care and setting up a redfooted tortoise compared to a Hermanni. What works for you and your Hermanni won't work for @aevagiddeon and their redfooted tortoise. But thank you for sharing, and welcome to the Forum!

toro

Indonesia/ Jakarta
You are using the wrong type of UV bulb, your lights need to be on for at least 12 hours a day, and 20C at night is MUCH too low for the species we are talking about in this thread.
about the UV bulb, may I know what is the better one ? and about the temp, I meant the same, we should give higher or hotter than 20C, sorry if my english confusing hehehe not my first language

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
about the UV bulb, may I know what is the better one ? and about the temp, I meant the same, we should give higher or hotter than 20C, sorry if my english confusing hehehe not my first language
Start here. There is a heating and lighting breakdown and a temperate species care sheet near the bottom.