Status
Not open for further replies.

ojesus10

5 Year Member
Great site everyone. Tons of information which is great for a newbie like myself. I currently don't own a Tort but I am looking into either a Leopard or red-footed tortoise. I've been doing my research and I am leaning towards a Leopard. Im looking to pick up the little guy at the reptile super show this weekend. I live in California so we'll have the little guy spend most of his time outdoors and partly indoors, of course when he grows in size. Initially we will keep him indoors. What would you guys recommend for a first-timer. Size is not an issue although a sulcata is way too big. Thanks everyone and I'll keep reading.

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
Hello and welcome to the TFO:) I would say a Russian or maybe a Redfoot but I love the Leo's but first do your research an get every thing setup before you get a tort :) keep us posted on what you get and do'nt forget to post some pic's:D

Scirish

5 Year Member
Alberta, Canada
Welcome! And these people are very helpful. As long as you do your research and are willing to put in the effort I am sure you could raise either species! Welcome and good-luck!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
welcome leo's can get pretty big, but a lot of people love them.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi ojesus10:

Welcome to the forum! May we know your name? And are you located in Southern California?

I'm sure whatever you decide will work out just fine for you. But keep in mind that hatchlings are pretty sensitive and a little hard for an inexperienced keeper to keep alive.

ojesus10

5 Year Member
My name is Jesus and Im in So.Cal. So here he is. We ended up getting a Leo and are extremely excited! We've had him since Sunday and I looks like he's doing really good. He started to eat yesterday as well as drink from he's bowl which is a relief. The first couple of days he would walk around and smell his food (collard, mustard and turnip) but he wouldn't eat it. I ended up buying some spring mix and now he's chomping away. I think I need to shred his food a little thinner because he was eating some big chunks. Anyways, We're excited that he's eating and roaming around. Thanks for all the help. Here's some pics.

Attachments

• 2011-01-13_13-31-03_907.jpg
    2011-01-13_13-31-03_907.jpg
    2.7 KB · Views: 22
  • 2011-01-13_13-30-50_153.jpg
    2011-01-13_13-30-50_153.jpg
    2.9 KB · Views: 20
  • 2011-01-13_12-52-02_560.jpg
    2011-01-13_12-52-02_560.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 22
  • 2011-01-13_12-48-27_165.jpg
    2011-01-13_12-48-27_165.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 18
  • 2011-01-12_11-54-43_248.jpg
    2011-01-12_11-54-43_248.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 19

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
Congrats on your little Leo:D good to hear he is eating & drinking what did you name him/her? :D

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Jesus:

The fact that your new baby is eating is really good news. So many times babies just stop eating when moved to a new environment.

I noticed that he's started to pyramid. This means that the previous owner was keeping the baby too dry. Please read this thread:

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-How-To-Raise-Sulcata-Hatchlings-and-Babies

It was written with sulcatas in mind, but it is good info for baby leopard keepers too. You can arrest the pyramid growth with quite a bit more moisture in the habitat.

Is that a cement mixing tray you have him in? Those are pretty nice habitats for babies. Nice job!

ojesus10

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
Hi Jesus:

The fact that your new baby is eating is really good news. So many times babies just stop eating when moved to a new environment.

I noticed that he's started to pyramid. This means that the previous owner was keeping the baby too dry. Please read this thread:

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-How-To-Raise-Sulcata-Hatchlings-and-Babies

It was written with sulcatas in mind, but it is good info for baby leopard keepers too. You can arrest the pyramid growth with quite a bit more moisture in the habitat.

Is that a cement mixing tray you have him in? Those are pretty nice habitats for babies. Nice job!

Thanks for that link. Just read it and great information. Stanley is only 3 months old but now I notice the pyramid growth. Didn't know it could be an issue this young. We have been soaking him every other day but we'll do it every day from now on and bring his humidity % up. I have been keeping it at around 50% but I'll spray his substrate more often *** well as the little guy, 3-4 times a day.

Status
Not open for further replies.