Status
Not open for further replies.

Franklin10

5 Year Member
Hey peeps Im new to the tortoise world I find them really cool I really got him for my son to grow up with, I thought it would be a really great companion for him. So I decided to get him one. I just got him/her today at the local pet shop, they told me its about a few months old since they said that im guessing its about 2/3 months old idk if its male or female... by the way its a sulcata tortoise about 2.5 inches really great tortoise...
so i have it set up on a 10 gallon tank for now and I have the basking spot lamp and the uvb fluorescent bulb with the sand looking thing at the bottom thats it. It would be really nice if you guys can help me out with as much info as possible it would be great thank you guys very much

Franklin10

5 Year Member
Marty333 said:
welcome to the forum!! I hope you know Sulcatas can grow to became over 100 punds and require a lot of care.

how long have you had your sulcata???

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Franklin10:

Welcome to the forum!!

I wish you had joined here prior to buying supplies at the pet store. It would really be better if you were to find a large Sterilite tub...something larger than 10 gallons. Little sulcatas wander a lot. Also its hard to get a temperature gradient in such a small aquarium. By that I mean, you want the temp directly under the light to be around 100 to 115 degrees. Then it gets cooler the farther away from the light that you place the thermometer, with it being about 75 or 80 on the side opposite the light. With a 10 gallon tank it would be hot all over the floor of the tank. Also, there a re a lot of things that need to be inside the habitat...waterer, food tile, hiding place or two, maybe an artificial plant. You can't get all that, plus still have room to walk, in a 10 gallon tank.

Take a few trips through our sulcata and enclosure sections. You'll have your eyes opened and get lots of ideas.

We'd love to see pictures of your new baby. (Is Franklin his name or yours?)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome. I see you already found my care sheet. You are welcome, I hope it helps.

sara

5 Year Member
Wyoming
welcome to the forum! you have questions? you'll get answers! the people on here are great and will help in anyway they can! good luck:)

moswen

5 Year Member
welcome! i agree with yvonne, he does need bigger than a 10 gal, can you take it back? those big plastic tubs from walmart or a hardware store or something are really better for your baby sulcata! sulcatas are active little babies and adults! so happy to have you on!

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Welcome to the family!
its on sand? change that as soon as you can.
what is the diet, how is the little one doing ? active? eating?

H

HarleyFleming2

Hello !

I'm new on this forum so I introduce me...

My name is harley I'm 27 years old, I'm a Belgian in USA.

My hobbies : horse riding,reading
Nice to meet you.
tortoise is one of the strongest animal in the earth. life of tortoise is also very long.

Franklin10

5 Year Member
Franklin10 said:
Hey peeps Im new to the tortoise world I find them really cool I really got him for my son to grow up with, I thought it would be a really great companion for him. So I decided to get him one. I just got him/her today at the local pet shop, they told me its about a few months old since they said that im guessing its about 2/3 months old idk if its male or female... by the way its a sulcata tortoise about 2.5 inches really great tortoise...
so i have it set up on a 10 gallon tank for now and I have the basking spot lamp and the uvb fluorescent bulb with the sand looking thing at the bottom thats it. It would be really nice if you guys can help me out with as much info as possible it would be great thank you guys very much

SAM_0126.jpg

SAM_0125.jpg

SAM_0127.jpg

SAM_0129.jpg

SAM_0130.jpg

SAM_0131.jpg

jagsrule100

10 Year Member!
Florida
He's a beauty, I would change the sand also. Cypress mulch is your best bet as I am still looking for it lol. Make sure that if you get Cypress mulch, that there isn't any pine or cedar in it which is why i am still looking.

Welcome to the forum :)

Status
Not open for further replies.