Kernowguy

Location (City and/or State)
Cornwall
Hi everyone,
I have a young Hermann’s ,which came with a “table top “ enclosure plus a starter kit and his certificate.
Its on hemp ground cover at present along with rehydrate type food pellets ,plus a calcium powder additive .
The lamp is uva/uvb 80w Mercury bulb ,it also has a side glass heater in its bed area.
I have read varying instructions etc about what’s right and wrong that it becomes confusing ,so could you please inform me as to what set up and food types I need ,it seems to prefer the above food to any fresh greens I’ve given .
I have now purchased “Tortoise life” Mediterranean substrate ,as most info states a soil and sand substrate is probably best .
I wish for it to have a healthy diet along with good husbandry on my part .
So any help you can offer would be appreciated, I am based in the south west of the UK.

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Hi everyone,
I have a young Hermann’s ,which came with a “table top “ enclosure plus a starter kit and his certificate.
Its on hemp ground cover at present along with rehydrate type food pellets ,plus a calcium powder additive .
The lamp is uva/uvb 80w Mercury bulb ,it also has a side glass heater in its bed area.
I have read varying instructions etc about what’s right and wrong that it becomes confusing ,so could you please inform me as to what set up and food types I need ,it seems to prefer the above food to any fresh greens I’ve given .
I have now purchased “Tortoise life” Mediterranean substrate ,as most info states a soil and sand substrate is probably best .
I wish for it to have a healthy diet along with good husbandry on my part .
So any help you can offer would be appreciated, I am based in the south west of the UK.

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Malverne, NY
Congrats on the new baby!!

Now the bad news. everything you have is wrong

your substrate is bad
mercury bulb is bad
having any open top enclosure will make it impossible to keep heat and humidity where it needs to be.

Please read the caresheets below:

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Hello - I have only just noticed that you are in Cornwall - We also have a Hermanns tortoise, named Zola, and live in Devon, just over the border from Cornwall. Zola is nearly 21 now, and we have had him since he was a baby. I would love to hear about your tortoise.
Angie