Newbie! I will be getting my Hermanns tomorrow!

Status
Not open for further replies.

siwash

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Toronto
Hi folks,

Been following along for a while... finally decided to take the plunge and buy my first hermann (hatchling) and join the forum. Lots of great info here so far.

I will be getting the tort tomorrow. I just bought substrate - "Compressed coconut fiber expandable substrate" - I hope this is appropriate for a hatchling. It was recommended by a reptile retailer in the toronto area.

I will have plenty of Q's over the coming weeks. Looking forward to your input.

regards,

Rob

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Welcome to the forum Rob

I have an Hermann too and when I got her, I tried the coconut fiber, I found it very dusty so I sprayed it with water. But my Hermy got sick so the vet told me that maybe she was allergic to the coconut fiber or the dust so I had to remove it. Now she lives on 1. reptile carpet 2. aspen 3. a mix of eco earth and sand. I find the eco earth a bit dusty but it is in 1/6 of her tort table. People usualy use organic soil instead of Eco earth but where I live the only organic soil they sell is mixed with shrimp compost.

For more information, you can check:

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/hermanns-tortoise-care-sheet-t-1000.html

I cant want to see the pic of your little one

Good luck

Granolagal

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
Congratulations Rob!

I am sure that if you have particular questions that the more than able folks here will help you as they have with myself and many others. I started with the play sand 30% organic soil 70% mixture..it was okay but very heavy and difficult to spot 'messes' in. I think that the Aspen substrate is probably the best. The only problem I have found with it is that you have to make sure the hatchling is hydrated well. If you have fresh water always available, and use a different substrate for the 'humid hide' (either damp eco earth or sphagnum moss works great) then that is the way to go. I am sure that your coconut fibre would be okay for the humid hide as well, but I would suggest something else for the majority of the habitat. Depending on the size of the hatchling, just a towel seems to make them really happy..for at least part of their home. They like to hide in it, and can cling and walk on it well. Though I do not have them in my habitats, after their bath they have a 'run' on wash cloths and seem to love it :)

Best of luck, I bet you will be surprised about how attached you become to the little fella!

Like Isa...I am looking forward to updates, and of course, pictures pictures!!
Cheers, Carley

siwash

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Toronto
Got him/her home tonight... soooo cute! it's already eating! hibiscus flower and leaf...

Set up is very basic right now... don't even have a hide for him yet. Is that necessary right away? Maybe I will throw in a small towel?

He seems to like the warmer location at the moment. It's about 31 or 32 C (90ish F)

I will post pics soon! Name to follow...

Rob

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Congrats Rob

If I were you I would put an hide in the little one enclosure as soon as possible. I know mine really feel safe in her hide. If you dont have one right now you can put a plastic plant pot upside down and make a hole on the side (like a door for the tort to gets in).

siwash

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Toronto
Thanks Isa

Should I place it in the cool end or warm end?

thanks

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
siwash said:
Thanks Isa

Should I place it in the cool end or warm end?

thanks

It depends if your tortoise have a big or a smaller enclosure. When I got Hermy, she had a medium size enclosure so her hide was in the middle. Now that I made her a bigger tort table, she has 3 hides. Observe her behavior, is she always in her cold or hot side? Put the hide where she goes the most but leave her space to walk around.

Do you have any pics of your enclosures?

siwash

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Toronto
It's a 30 gal terrarium. I know, it's not ideal, but there's no lid so it doesn't get too humid. I was told that they do not need much space at this stage.

I am using a toilet paper roll! it seems to be ok size-wise.. I will have to adjust the location perhaps.

check out my pics in the other post.

thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.