First time owner, tortoise not eating

LJL1982

Location (City and/or State)
UK
Having the UV switching the same time as the basking lamp will be short-term until I sort out another timer, can then have them operating independently.

Looking at the height of the Vivarium we're likely to swap to in the short-term, it's just under 20" in height. With Tortoises being Zone 3 it looks like the 6% forest kit is what I'd need, as the 12% output would be too high?

Would you recommend LED strip lighting or LED bulbs? Would have thought bulbs would generate a better spread of light.

I take it you mean these? https://www.reptiles.swelluk.com/arcadia-solar-basking-floodlight

That would go along with one of their CHE's (https://www.reptiles.swelluk.com/arcadia-ceramic-heater) in a lamp cage, just need to work out the W required.
I have 6% forest in an 11inch height and was getting 4.8 UV on a new bulb and almost that now a few months later.

Beware some bulbs have min distances...I would consider 10inch the absolute closest really.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Having the UV switching the same time as the basking lamp will be short-term until I sort out another timer, can then have them operating independently.
Independently is best. I get timers at the local Home Depot for about $12 US.

Looking at the height of the Vivarium we're likely to swap to in the short-term, it's just under 20" in height. With Tortoises being Zone 3 it looks like the 6% forest kit is what I'd need, as the 12% output would be too high?
You can ignore the Zone 3 Ferguson stuff, and that silly Jackson weight ratio business, along with most of the other rubbish you have read about tortoise care. 6% bulbs are for forest tortoise species. The 12% bulb will serve you best and 18-20 inches is a fine height for them. Only a meter can tell you what mounting height is best and how often to replace the bulbs. Solarmeter 6.5.

Would you recommend LED strip lighting or LED bulbs? Would have thought bulbs would generate a better spread of light.
Either works. I use both. I like the "globe" type for the screw in sockets, but really any of them are fine. Just be sure to get them in the 500-6500K color range, not the usual 2500K range.

Precisely.

That would go along with one of their CHE's (https://www.reptiles.swelluk.com/arcadia-ceramic-heater) in a lamp cage, just need to work out the W required.
No need for a cage for a tortoise. Best in a ceramic based fixture with an aluminum dome. Get a 100 or 150 watt and control it with a thermostat.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I don't think the Mrs would sign off on putting a portable greenhouse over it, but a good idea 😆
It is a common and cheap solution to retaining heat and humidity for people who make the mistake of buying open tables until they can replace them. If you look in the Enclosures thread you may find how people have successfully used them.

bigglesuk

United Kingdom
So, she has still been in the Tortoise table while waiting for things to be delivered/me to have time to sort things out. She has been eating, though not as much as I'd like. I've got the vivarium built but trying to resolve a couple of issues before moving her in.

1) Location of Thermostat sensor/probe for the ambient CHE
Currently I've placed it at the edge on the far left of the vivarium about 1-2 inches above the substrate. Is that okay? Or would there be a better place. Thermostat is currently set to 20C.

2) Humidity probe location
Currently half way down the vivarium at the rear, just sat on the substrate. I can't seem to find anything conclusive about the best location for this.

3) Lowering basking lamp
I need to increase the basking temperature as the lamp is too high. I've got it install in an Arcadia Pro Ceramic Lamp holder/bracket, which means fixed position. Any suggestions on how to lower it, I'll probably need to lower it a good few inches I think, it's currently 11inches from the substrate.

4) Humidity levels too high in the evening/night
When the basking lamp is on then the humidity levels seem okay (though could change re: sensor position) but then once it's off I'm finding that the humidity levels are getting quite high (into the 80's/90's) and can't figure out how to control them. We've got 2-3 inches of orchid bark in there which is obviously the source, but just can't work out how to keep the levels down.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
OK...so when you wash your clothes at 40 it's cold water. 26 is cold. You need the water verging on the temperature you bath yourself...bit a bit colder so you don't scald them...if you are someone like me and just burn their legs to get in 🤣

So literally if you would put a child in it, then that's spot on and keep it hot for the whole 20 mins.
I am no expert, however, I soak my smaller tortoises in very warm water until the water cools, then I take it out. In my experience tortoises and box turtles drink almost immediately when you put them in the water and leave. They don't care to be watched while they are soaking. I don't use anything but my elbow to test the water temp. don't make it hot, just almost hot

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
So, she has still been in the Tortoise table while waiting for things to be delivered/me to have time to sort things out. She has been eating, though not as much as I'd like. I've got the vivarium built but trying to resolve a couple of issues before moving her in.

1) Location of Thermostat sensor/probe for the ambient CHE
Currently I've placed it at the edge on the far left of the vivarium about 1-2 inches above the substrate. Is that okay? Or would there be a better place. Thermostat is currently set to 20C.

2) Humidity probe location
Currently half way down the vivarium at the rear, just sat on the substrate. I can't seem to find anything conclusive about the best location for this.

3) Lowering basking lamp
I need to increase the basking temperature as the lamp is too high. I've got it install in an Arcadia Pro Ceramic Lamp holder/bracket, which means fixed position. Any suggestions on how to lower it, I'll probably need to lower it a good few inches I think, it's currently 11inches from the substrate.

4) Humidity levels too high in the evening/night
When the basking lamp is on then the humidity levels seem okay (though could change re: sensor position) but then once it's off I'm finding that the humidity levels are getting quite high (into the 80's/90's) and can't figure out how to control them. We've got 2-3 inches of orchid bark in there which is obviously the source, but just can't work out how to keep the levels down.
Humidity...and temp. 20c is only 68f, then you add humidity and that's a recipe for disaster. Daytime temps should be 85 degrees or 29c...Cold and wet are bad.
Here is that same mini greenhouse 6ftx3ft. It's placed over an existing tort table. After all your stuff is correct...you will be amazed at how easy day to day care is...DSCN1095.JPG

bigglesuk

United Kingdom
Humidity...and temp. 20c is only 68f, then you add humidity and that's a recipe for disaster. Daytime temps should be 85 degrees or 29c...Cold and wet are bad.
So, Reading the guides on here it says ambient of 21-26 with night of 15+. With the warmside being around 26 and the cool between 18-26.

Right now with just the basking lamp I'm getting 34.5 by the lamp and 23.4 down the cool end. The humidity is about 54% with the humidity sensor sat in the middle.

So, seems fine now, it's just the overnight temp/humidity I'm worried about. That is, if the sensors are in the right location.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Also after you do a soak and take them out of it... place the little one pretty far away from the food so s/he'll have to walk past it to go to bed. That usually talks my Russian into nibbling a bit.🤗

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I use a bowl or stone about the same height as my tort to check and adjust the temps are ok for him under any heat sources.

I keep the probe for my thermostat near the che so that it's measuring the heat in that area. If it's too far away it will continue heating colder areas while your tort could be over heating.

But having said that, my tort has his own room and a large heated hide so I've no experience of smaller enclosures. Can you post a pic of the new enclosure then members who do use smaller enclosures can advise you on the best positions for heating and lighting equipment in relation to his hide and bowls etc

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I am no expert, however, I soak my smaller tortoises in very warm water until the water cools, then I take it out. In my experience tortoises and box turtles drink almost immediately when you put them in the water and leave. They don't care to be watched while they are soaking. I don't use anything but my elbow to test the water temp. don't make it hot, just almost hot
I would keep peeping at them while they're soaking, just in case something unexpected happens?

LJL1982

UK
With your elbow....that's how I describe the water...like you would have for a child, and that's how you check temp for a child 😆

Mrs.Jennifer

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Norwich CT
I have a Russian tortoise and the husbandry is pretty much the same. I get the water to 90F/32C and then place it back into his enclosed chamber to soak. I put the bowl NEAR the basking bulb, NOT directly under it. It keeps the water warmer for longer.

Also, high humidity at night is okay as long as the temps aren’t too cold and the enclosure warms up sufficiently during the day. I live in Connecticut (US Northeast) and my house is set for 55F/13C at night. His CHE is on a programmable thermostat to keep the temps on target and he is THRIVING (Thanks to @Tom et. al.).

LJL1982

UK
I have a Russian tortoise and the husbandry is pretty much the same. I get the water to 90F/32C and then place it back into his enclosed chamber to soak. I put the bowl NEAR the basking bulb, NOT directly under it. It keeps the water warmer for longer.

Also, high humidity at night is okay as long as the temps aren’t too cold and the enclosure warms up sufficiently during the day. I live in Connecticut (US Northeast) and my house is set for 55F/13C at night. His CHE is on a programmable thermostat to keep the temps on target and he is THRIVING (Thanks to @Tom et. al.).
It's just keep keeping my central heating at 22c isn't it....standard in UK is 20c though. Clearly people the other side of the pond are much hardier people, I've had my electric blanket on at night too 😄