Newbie tortoise owner wanting advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

herbie16

5 Year Member
Hi i recently purchased a 1year old Hermanns tortoise from a breeder who I named Herbie :) I absolutely adore him/her but Im a little bit worried. I got him on Friday and the owner said she usually turns the lamp off at half 5 and he would go to sleep by 6, but she kept the light on that night so it would be awake when i got it. Friday he stayed awake till 12 oclock, saturday he woke as soon as i put the lamp on came out very adventurous bit of a daredevil sliding down the bridge etc Sunday again woke fine and we took him out in the garden which he loved but by 2 oclock on Sunday he took himself off to sleep hiding under the aspen (which the breeder also had in her enclosure). Now Monday Tuesday and today he is waking fine eating loads going in the water etc but seems to be very sleepy and going to sleep around half 3. I phoned the breeder and she advised me it might be too cold altho the temperature are 32/33 degrees under the lamp and about 20 degrees in the cooler end and having read many forums this seems to be correct?? Im just wondering if this is normal behaviour and Im just a panicking newbie or if anyone has any advice so he'll stay awake a bit longer as so far being a teacher and coming in at 5 onwards im seeing very little of my new pet!!
Thanks in advance for advice
Rhian
PS he is in a tortoise table with soil and aspen in a hidey bit, he has a water dish, i have sprinkled nutrobol on his food which is mainly weeds dandelions, clover and pansies

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Tortoises are typically creatures of routine. Their routine is established based on their environment around them. Temperatures, light duration and intensity, food availability and other factors all determine the tortoise's actions.

His previous routine and environment have been disrupted since he has come to live with you. That's okay, but the best thing that you can do is to have things in place, put the lights on timers to go on and off when it is not only sensible for the tortoise but also convenient for you. Most tortoises come out to bask shortly after the sun comes up and they begin to feel some warmth in the air. They'll usually go into a secure sleeping area, whether it be a hide box or burying themselves in the substrate, shortly before the sun goes down. Somewhere within that range you will need to decide what times work best for you and your tortoise for the lights to come on and go out.

A new tortoise in a new environment is in unfamiliar surroundings. It's not unusual for them to hide for several days and to not eat for few days. During this time of unfamiliarity it's usually best to have everything set up for the tortoise, make sure it remains well hydrated and offer it fresh food daily. Other than that, the next best thing to do is leave it alone for awhile. Don't handle it, don't constantly move it or it's enclosure and don't change it's surroundings. Eventually, the tortoise will begin to come out and explore it's new surroundings making itself familiar with them. It will soon begin to establish a routine and once it feels secure in it's surrounding will spend more time out in the open and even come out when it sees you approach.

32-33c under the basking lamp is okay, but 35-38c is more desirable with an ambient daytime temperature in the rest of the enclosure somewhere in the 24-29c range. About 15-20 degrees cooler at night.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Rhian:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

May we know where you are?

tyler0912

5 Year Member
Blackburn, U.K.
I agree he is just getting into a routine....tiago at first just slept.....ate.....drank...slept........adventured....drank...slept........
But now he goes to bed for the night at about 10.00pm his light goes off at 11.00pm it comes back on at 6.00am when i get up for school and he gets out of his pit and waits at his food bowl for food until its in there! :D

herbie16

5 Year Member
Thank you so much for the advice I am glad to say that Herbie now seems to be in a better routine lights are switched on at about 7.30 by 8 hes out and about eating exploring basking etc and last night he went to bed at 7, latest time ever so i actually got to see him :)

I'm from Wales I guess i'm just worrying a little too much about the little fellow as he seems to be adjusting well now x

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
There is nothing wrong with worrying. Your doing great! Glad Herbie is coming out a bit more and you get to actually see the little guy.

zoe roberts

5 Year Member
London
herbie16 said:
Thank you so much for the advice I am glad to say that Herbie now seems to be in a better routine lights are switched on at about 7.30 by 8 hes out and about eating exploring basking etc and last night he went to bed at 7, latest time ever so i actually got to see him :)

I'm from Wales I guess i'm just worrying a little too much about the little fellow as he seems to be adjusting well now x

Hi! When will we see a pic of little Herbie (very cute name) :)

Status
Not open for further replies.