Newbie still researching from FL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grimes407

5 Year Member
Hey everyone. I've always loved turtles and tortoises, but just started looking into them as a pet.

I live in Florida, and would love to get a turtle or tortoise. I was wondering what species of turtle would be appropriate for the environment. I plan on making an indoor enclosure for the nighttime, thunderstorms, and the couple months out of the year it gets cold(unless their is a turtle/tortoise that doesn't mind it, but it seems most like warmer environments).

How much of an issue is predators with the turtles? As it is Florida and my house is right next to woods, I often see critters of all type, but the only ones nearby I think I would need to worry about is raccoons and they usually only come out at night.

Thanks for everyone's time!

-David

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Hi David and welcome! Florida is a pretty nice place for any turtle or tortoise, so your options will be much larger then most in that area. What size are you thinking about? One more for looking at or would you rather one of the more "friendly" types?

I think you can enlarge you predator list to almost everything you see (and those you don't see) that live in your area. So that is indeed an important thing to think of when planning your enclosure.

Grimes407

5 Year Member
I guess something in between. I want it small enough that I can still keep it in an inside enclosure of 4'x4' or so. Any bigger and I would need to kick out my roommate(may be a good excuse ;) ). I have about a 50'x50' backyard, so I have plenty of room to let him roam while I'm home(I've read that they like to explore and climb things).

Well, I don't think it's to bad with the predator list. I don't plan on leaving him out there unsupervised for more then a few minutes at a time. Most of the time I just see various birds and large rodents(raccoons, possums, and armadillos). I don't live near gators(for now at least, canal has been low for more then a year), and I haven't noticed any foxes in the area.

Thanks for the welcome.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
a russian would be good for you.. or box turtles..
but an outside enclosure would have to be built well and have a top on it so coons and big birds couldnt carry your tort off..

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Just want to say hello and welcome. Good luck choosing.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Welcome, your options are large. Florida is a good state for tortoise keepers.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi David:

Welcome to the forum!!

Grimes407

5 Year Member
Yea, I kind of settled on the redfoot last night. I figured since they are from south america, it would closely resemble there habitat. I noticed quite a few people would go out and buy plants and bedding and what not. Is it better to go that route or get dirt from the back yard and snag some plants.

Also, my brother mentioned something about diseases. When I looked it up, google says that some turtles carry salmonella, but it didn't say anything about tortoises.

I live in ,Kissimmee, so I'm just a little down south of you Marty333.

Thanks for all the greetings.

PeanutbuttER

5 Year Member
Utah
Grimes407 said:
Also, my brother mentioned something about diseases. When I looked it up, google says that some turtles carry salmonella, but it didn't say anything about tortoises.

Yes they do carry salmonella, but then again so do you :). It's a part of the normal flora. The danger of infection usually is only present with sick animals feces. Turtles IMO are going to be more dangerous salmonella-wise since they swim in their excrement. Tortoises deposit it and leave it alone (they like to let it age before chomping on it :)). They're not constantly surrounded by it in the same way. Still though, practice good hygiene. Wash your hands after handling and don't wipe your nose or touch your eyes before you do. It is always safer to act as if the animal is infectious.

I have heard someone once say that to get salmonella from a tortoise you'd have to be a child and you'd need to lick it from tail to head.

Grimes407

5 Year Member
Great, thanks for all the information. Is is better to find a specialty tortoise breeder(looks like I might need to get one shipped in that case) or just go to a chain pet store? I called one yesterday and they said they range from 90-100 dollars, but they do not have any at the moment.

Great to know about the salmonella. I figured it had to be something along those lines. It makes since with turtles having it(seems like the more moisture you have, the more chances of diseases and bacteria)

PeanutbuttER

5 Year Member
Utah
There are many of us on here that have both petstore torts and breeder torts. Personally, I preferred my entire experience working with a breeder over buying from a pet store. The breeder I used let me pick from all of them so I got the exact look I was looking for, and she was really great as far as humoring me when I asked her to let me know which ones were the most outgoing.

It is a bit more expensive up front, but it's also a healthier animal.

I got a swinging deal on my first pet store redfoot. She was pyramiding and her plastron was pretty well rotted away (shell rot) but she was such a good deal and she was such a nice tort. Her enclosure was very very dry and she just laid in the water all day (thus pyramiding and shell rot at the same time. Go figure. Not a likely grouping of conditions). I had been watching her for a while... She also had parasites from being housed mixed with russians.

In the end, it is all up to you and what you want. I don't regret getting my "pet-store" redfoot but now that I've done both I do prefer breeders. Plus, if you want/are comfortable getting a hatchling then a breeder is your only route really.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
We have members here who breed and sell redfoot tortoises. If you look through the "for sale" section at old posts, you'll come up with some names. I don't want it to look like I'm playing favorites, so I can't do it for you! :cool:

Grimes407

5 Year Member
Okay, thanks for all the information guys. I ripped down a shed this weekend, so I may end up fencing that area in and making it his outside enclosure (I'm planning on digging the fence down about 2' and doing a complete roof and walls) during the day when I'm at work and school.

Status
Not open for further replies.