Newbie Set Up

Kala

Location (City and/or State)
Sittingbourne, Kent
You may use an inline dimmer with a 50W Arcadia lamp then. Similar to this one: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000LAU04K/?tag=
Oh yes, you did tell me that already. Sorry, I try my best to take it all in but struggle to remember details. I wish I was more ‘tech capable’ so that I could create my own little tortoise database on my laptop! Weight/size tracker, food/supplement lists and reminders, tech, accessories etc. I’m probably not making any sense which is why I need pre-structured aids for this 😂

I re-read through Tom’s care sheets and various comments on this thread most days because I just can’t retain the details to be confident I’m getting things right 😂

Kala

Sittingbourne, Kent

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
No worries :) Lightning and heating is a tough topic. But once you get it right for the first time - it will be easier. I also use this forum as my "second memory" - you can bookmark interesting posts and assign labels to them for easier reference later.

_The_Beast_

Canada
These bulbs have just popped up on Amazon. Am I right in thinking they’re good?
I struggle with lighting so I'm not sure, but if you make a post specifically about lighting or tag Tom you'll likely get a solid answer ☺️

ecachuh

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sulphur, LA
I was looking for 40 watt also. I found a 40w incandescent floodlight at ACE Hardware, but it's "intermediate" base. Probably doesn't have the same effect either. I don't know. Can we use frosted????
I ended up ordering Arcadia 50 watt from Reptile Basics.

Heat and humidity are tough....they work against each other constantly. :mad:

This one is frosted. Regular E26 size.

This one is frosted. Intermediate E17 size

Kala

Sittingbourne, Kent
I was looking for 40 watt also. I found a 40w incandescent floodlight at ACE Hardware, but it's "intermediate" base. Probably doesn't have the same effect either. I don't know. Can we use frosted????
I ended up ordering Arcadia 50 watt from Reptile Basics.

Heat and humidity are tough....they work against each other constantly. :mad:

This one is frosted. Regular E26 size.

This one is frosted. Intermediate E17 size
Thank you! I have a 50W and I’m worried it’s just a little too hot. Minty is using his noggin and basks around the edges of the heat spot (keep checking his shell temperature and it’s all good) but I do worry about ‘sun burn’! Also feel like a big part of his enclosure is being wasted because of that part he has to skirt around 😥

I have an E27 fixture. I read that E26 bulbs would be fine, but tried one and it didn’t fit 🙈

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
This one can be a good fit. They don't mention socket, but looks like E27.

Also, you may look for this lamp in stores:
It's 60W, but because of shape heat is not projected below the lamp.

Last edited:

Kala

Sittingbourne, Kent
This one can be a good fit. They don't mention socket, but looks like E27.

Also, you may look for this lamp in stores:
It's 60W, but because of shape heat is not projected below the lamp.
Thank you as always! The 35 watt would probably be perfect but it's out of stock atm. I'll try to find it elsewhere, if not I'll try the alternative 60w :)

Kala

Sittingbourne, Kent
How much poop is too much? We soak him every morning and he'll always poop, but he also makes sure he has a big one on his treasured wheel every day! haha. Sometimes he'll have a poo as long as his shell! Is that normal?

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
How much poop is too much? We soak him every morning and he'll always poop, but he also makes sure he has a big one on his treasured wheel every day! haha. Sometimes he'll have a poo as long as his shell! Is that normal?
Absolutely :) If it's firm, no goo and Minty doesn't struggle too much to get the result.

Here is sulcata keeper thread, if you are brave enough:

_The_Beast_

Canada
Totally normal. WL does a bath poop + pee and then almost always befouls their wheel in the same manner 😅 I spot clean the wheel daily and give it a scrub with hot water once a week (unless it's needed sooner).

So happy to hear Minty loves their wheel so much!

Kala

Sittingbourne, Kent
Totally normal. WL does a bath poop + pee and then almost always befouls their wheel in the same manner 😅 I spot clean the wheel daily and give it a scrub with hot water once a week (unless it's needed sooner).

So happy to hear Minty loves their wheel so much!
He really does! He’s not impressed when it has to be removed to de-mould and dry in the sun (still finding that every wood item in the viv keeps gathering mould, so I must be doing something wrong!)

The worms are also back with a vengeance 😔 We could no longer see them in his poop so hoped a good diet etc would be enough to create a balance, but clearly there are too many eggs scattered around for him to eat. Will have to switch him to newspaper for a while and order fresh coco coir. He’s going to be so sad, he won’t be able to dig/bury down 😢

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
He really does! He’s not impressed when it has to be removed to de-mould and dry in the sun (still finding that every wood item in the viv keeps gathering mould, so I must be doing something wrong!)

The worms are also back with a vengeance 😔 We could no longer see them in his poop so hoped a good diet etc would be enough to create a balance, but clearly there are too many eggs scattered around for him to eat. Will have to switch him to newspaper for a while and order fresh coco coir. He’s going to be so sad, he won’t be able to dig/bury down 😢
But once he is dewormed and back in business he will be much happier. Happier than he has ever been.