alejzp

Location (City and/or State)
San José, Costa Rica
hello everybody, my name is Alejandro and I am from Costa Rica, and I’m very new to owning a Sulcata... since the moment I knew about them I fell in love with the species but it was impossible to find/get them in my country until now and I am nuts about it...

I’ve had sooo many questions and Google has led me to this forum most of the time so it was about time to join and be a member... this is my first post so please bear with me if I do anything wrong...

My baby is shy 3 months old (born on October 6th) and I am trying to swallow as much info as possible...

My main question at this point and after 10 days of having it is regarding food... I’ve read about what I can/should be feeding it and what I shouldn’t... I’ve talked to a herpetologist and he has given me some feedback but still have questions...

I’ve noticed it doesn’t eat much though read they are big eaters... I’ve read about the importance of eating greens, specially dark greens like grass and weeds like dandelion, and even hay... but it seems not that attracted to grass or dandelion or other greens I’ve tried, however it does love to eat shredded pumpkin... I’ve even tried some flowers but it is not attracted at all, is that normal?

I was also told that feeding it with calcium and multivitamins is important so I’m buying some over the Internet at Amazon... any suggestions on this matter? I just want the best for her (I always call it a “her” though I know sex cannot be determined yet, but in Spanish, tortoise [tortuga] is a female word so I have the tendency of calling my baby “her”)...

Thanks in advance for any help... best regards, ALEJZP

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Hello and welcome. I guess you have read these already, but they are worthy of rereading and comparing them with what you have as they are written by a species expert who is working hard to correct the outdated information widely available on the internet and from pet stores and sadly from some breeders and vets too.

Beginner Mistakes
https://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

How to raise a healthy Sulcata
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/

And this thread covers the diet of of youngsters: For those who have a young Sulcata
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

Tortoises have the taste for sweet foods like pumpkin, just like children preferring to eat candy. However, it shouldn't form the main part of the diet and you need to ration it. A hungry tortoise WILL eat, and it will always eat its favourites first. What's needed is some tough love. You only offer the greens and your tortoise will eat them. It is entirely likely that your tort will sulk at first and refuse the greens, but she won't come to any harm.

Establish a routine so your tort learns to trust you, her surroundings and the food:

- Have the lights on a timer so they are on for 14 hours a day. Timers make life easier for you.

- First thing in the morning, ideally before your tortoise has warmed up properly, soak your tortoise in warm water for at least 20 minutes.

- While your tortoise is soaking, tidy the enclosure and place food.

- Replace your tortoise and leave her entirely undisturbed so she can be brave, explore and eat without fearing that you are going to eat her. Right now you are big and scary. She will soon learn that you are the provider of yummy food and come running, but give it time as some tortoises are slower to catch on than others.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Another couple of points to understand: 1. If temperatures and lighting aren't correct, appetite goes way down. Follow the links above for correct temps and lighting. 2. Most breeders don't start sulcatas correctly and they are dehydrated and/or kept too cold. Most breeders also don't introduce them to the right foods early on, so you end up with a picky tortoise.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Alejandro, and welcome to the Forum!

alejzp

San José, Costa Rica
Hello and welcome. I guess you have read these already, but they are worthy of rereading and comparing them with what you have as they are written by a species expert who is working hard to correct the outdated information widely available on the internet and from pet stores and sadly from some breeders and vets too.

Beginner Mistakes
https://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

How to raise a healthy Sulcata
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/

And this thread covers the diet of of youngsters: For those who have a young Sulcata
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

Tortoises have the taste for sweet foods like pumpkin, just like children preferring to eat candy. However, it shouldn't form the main part of the diet and you need to ration it. A hungry tortoise WILL eat, and it will always eat its favourites first. What's needed is some tough love. You only offer the greens and your tortoise will eat them. It is entirely likely that your tort will sulk at first and refuse the greens, but she won't come to any harm.

Establish a routine so your tort learns to trust you, her surroundings and the food:

- Have the lights on a timer so they are on for 14 hours a day. Timers make life easier for you.

- First thing in the morning, ideally before your tortoise has warmed up properly, soak your tortoise in warm water for at least 20 minutes.

- While your tortoise is soaking, tidy the enclosure and place food.

- Replace your tortoise and leave her entirely undisturbed so she can be brave, explore and eat without fearing that you are going to eat her. Right now you are big and scary. She will soon learn that you are the provider of yummy food and come running, but give it time as some tortoises are slower to catch on than others.

Hello JoesMum and thank you very much for such a great and thorough response... I will definitely read the treads carefully... I really want to do it well and fine for her good sake...

Best regards, ALE from Costa Rica

alejzp

San José, Costa Rica
Another couple of points to understand: 1. If temperatures and lighting aren't correct, appetite goes way down. Follow the links above for correct temps and lighting. 2. Most breeders don't start sulcatas correctly and they are dehydrated and/or kept too cold. Most breeders also don't introduce them to the right foods early on, so you end up with a picky tortoise.

Thank you Tom, I will pay attention to lighting and temps just to make sure everything is good for her...