Lots of questions before I get a tortoise

JennyHenciak

Location (City and/or State)
Baltimore MD
I’m considering getting a tortoise and I’m still in the research phase. I’ve read a lot here but I have some questions. I live in Maryland so we have cold winters and hot summers. Also the house is very dry and cool in winter, warm to hot where I would have it. I would like to have outside as much as possible in good weather but I want the inside to be a nice place when there. Since I’m a total noob I’m looking for recommendations for a small (when adult) tortoise that would be good for a beginner. I’ve looked at several but getting expert opinions would help. Then once I decide on a certain one I can research more specifically. How fast do they grow? If I get a baby when would it need to go into a bigger enclosure? I assume babies need a closed space for humidity but do adults need as well? How would the set up differ? I’ve read about soaking them and it always says keep the water warm. How do you do that? I’d also love recommendations on equipment. Thermometer? Hygrometer? I’m not set on getting a baby either. Especially if they’re harder. I would be totally ok with an adult. I just need direction I guess. I apologize if these are dumb questions. I just want to do it right if I decide for sure. Thanks so much.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome. Absolutely not dumb questions, in fact the opposite.
A Russian or Hermann's are the best beginner torts.
Both as hatchlings need a closed chamber, 80% humidity and enclosure as an adult the minimum size would be a 4x8 foot.
Also as adults the humidity would be 30-50% this is usually added by dampening the substrate, a humid hide or when outside, running a mister or sprinkler once or twice a day, depending on species. Most places will have a humidity level that will work except on those really hot days.
Both also brumate for about 3 months in winter but you don't have to if you want to keep them up.

JennyHenciak

Baltimore MD
Both as hatchlings need a closed chamber, 80% humidity and enclosure as an adult the minimum size would be a 4x8 foot.
Also as adults the humidity would be 30-50% this is usually added by dampening the substrate, a humid hide or when outside, running a mister or sprinkler once or twice a day, depending on species. Most places will have a humidity level that will work except on those really hot days.
Both also brumate for about 3 months in winter but you don't have to if you want to keep them up.
I’m considering getting a tortoise and I’m still in the research phase. I’ve read a lot here but I have some questions. I live in Maryland so we have cold winters and hot summers. Also the house is very dry and cool in winter, warm to hot where I would have it. I would like to have outside as much as possible in good weather but I want the inside to be a nice place when there. Since I’m a total noob I’m looking for recommendations for a small (when adult) tortoise that would be good for a beginner. I’ve looked at several but getting expert opinions would help. Then once I decide on a certain one I can research more specifically. How fast do they grow? If I get a baby when would it need to go into a bigger enclosure? I assume babies need a closed space for humidity but do adults need as well? How would the set up differ? I’ve read about soaking them and it always says keep the water warm. How do you do that? I’d also love recommendations on equipment. Thermometer? Hygrometer? I’m not set on getting a baby either. Especially if they’re harder. I would be totally ok with an adult. I just need direction I guess. I apologize if these are dumb questions. I just want to do it right if I decide for sure. Thanks so much.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
They need the enclosed chamber enclosure for about 3 years. Considered full size around 5-7 years give or take a few years. Of course this depends on a lot. The way they were raised by breeder, diet and then how raised by the new owner, etc.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome!

Do you want a tortoise that brumates in winter, or one from a tropical region that stays up all year?

If you use a closed chamber to house the tortoise, it makes maintaining temperatures and humidity easy for any species.

They are grow at different rates and for a wide variety of reasons, so its difficult to answer how fast they grow. Most will be adult size in 5-6 years. Some species can be 30 pounds in two years. Most will be ready for an adult sized enclosure by around 3 years.

Keep soak water warm by soaking them in a warm area. Inside their own closed camber enclosure works great. Outside in the sun in warmer weather works too. The evaporative cooling of the water helps to counteract the heat energy of the sunshine.

All the info you need is here and questions are welcome:

JennyHenciak

Baltimore MD
They need the enclosed chamber enclosure for about 3 years. Considered full size around 5-7 years give or take a few years. Of course this depends on a lot. The way they were raised by breeder, diet and then how raised by the new owner, etc.
Hello and welcome!

Do you want a tortoise that brumates in winter, or one from a tropical region that stays up all year?

If you use a closed chamber to house the tortoise, it makes maintaining temperatures and humidity easy for any species.

They are grow at different rates and for a wide variety of reasons, so its difficult to answer how fast they grow. Most will be adult size in 5-6 years. Some species can be 30 pounds in two years. Most will be ready for an adult sized enclosure by around 3 years.

Keep soak water warm by soaking them in a warm area. Inside their own closed camber enclosure works great. Outside in the sun in warmer weather works too. The evaporative cooling of the water helps to counteract the heat energy of the sunshine.

All the info you need is here and questions are welcome:
I want whichever small species that is going to be easier for me and the tort. I’m open. I just want to figure out which kind I want so that I can research specifically for that kind. I’ve read that post twice and I’m sure I’ll read it again. Lol. Thanks!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Russian tortoises are very forgiving of mistakes the new carer may make. Plus they brumate (hibernate) in winter, giving you a bit of a respite. They're good eaters and quite active. . . and pretty darned cute!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I want whichever small species that is going to be easier for me and the tort. I’m open. I just want to figure out which kind I want so that I can research specifically for that kind. I’ve read that post twice and I’m sure I’ll read it again. Lol. Thanks!
Most of the Testudo are great starter species, hardy, small, and easy to feed and care for, BUT... there's always a but... All of them come from temperate regions and it is best to brumate them all winter. Some people prefer not to brumate them, but that has mixed results. For some people the tortoise just carries on like it is still summer and all is good. Other torts want to go to sleep for the winter and they don't care if you add lighting, make the days longer, and keep everything toasty warm. This can be troublesome. For this reason, I think one of the smaller tropical species would suit you best. They need the same warm "sunny" conditions all year long and they don't brumate. In my experience Indian stars are shy and delicate, but they are also small and pretty. Sulcatas, leopards and red foots get too big to house indoors practically. Pancakes are great, but some hide all the time, while others are bold and outgoing. This leaves my favorite:

So tell us what matters to you:
1. Brumation or not?
2. Personality? Shy or bold?
3. Appearance? Colorful and striking, or more drab and camouflaged?
4. Size? You already told us small enough to be inside for winter.
5. Hardiness? Do you want a bombproof tort, or do you mind something that requires a bit more vigilance and care to keep healthy?
6. Is price a factor?

ryan57

PA
Most of the Testudo are great starter species, hardy, small, and easy to feed and care for, BUT... there's always a but... All of them come from temperate regions and it is best to brumate them all winter. Some people prefer not to brumate them, but that has mixed results. For some people the tortoise just carries on like it is still summer and all is good. Other torts want to go to sleep for the winter and they don't care if you add lighting, make the days longer, and keep everything toasty warm. This can be troublesome. For this reason, I think one of the smaller tropical species would suit you best. They need the same warm "sunny" conditions all year long and they don't brumate. In my experience Indian stars are shy and delicate, but they are also small and pretty. Sulcatas, leopards and red foots get too big to house indoors practically. Pancakes are great, but some hide all the time, while others are bold and outgoing. This leaves my favorite:

So tell us what matters to you:
1. Brumation or not?
2. Personality? Shy or bold?
3. Appearance? Colorful and striking, or more drab and camouflaged?
4. Size? You already told us small enough to be inside for winter.
5. Hardiness? Do you want a bombproof tort, or do you mind something that requires a bit more vigilance and care to keep healthy?
6. Is price a factor?
My wife is going to kick me off of this forum by changing my password and confiscating my computer! I absolutely cannot have any more tortoises but those Burmese Stars are gorgeous.

JennyHenciak

Baltimore MD
Thank you Tom. Those are really good questions. I had thought that I didn’t mind brumation but if it’s tricky then probably not. I do like the pretty ones but that isn’t a big deal for me. I foster old dogs and most of them are not pretty. Lol. Size I prefer smaller. Hardiness is a definite plus. Personality I would prefer more bold but isn’t a deal breaker. Price is definitely a factor but if I find the perfect species I can save for it. I have to say that those Burmese stars are gorgeous and sound perfect for me. I’m almost afraid to ask how much one would cost.