Newbie saying hello!

D1105

Location (City and/or State)
Chicago
Hello everyone! I've been lurking this forum for a while now trying to get as much info as I can for my 12-yr old son who wants a pet tortoise. I have started my table top build today (with my friend's help) and can't wait to complete it. I think I'm more excited than he is and I'm trying to be patient not to rush it. I am mostly into Reef tanks (I just love corals) and wished I researched more years ago when I started and would have done plenty of things different in my reef tank setup.

For the meantime, all I can do is more research and hopefully find the right pet and have the proper indoor habitat for it.

Merrick

5 Year Member
South Florida
Welcome to the forum this is a great place to learn more about your future tortoise. What species are you thinking of getting

D1105

Chicago
We are leaning towards a Russian.....It seems like it is the most common for beginners.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
We are leaning towards a Russian.....It seems like it is the most common for beginners.
Russians are definitely a good beginner tortoise. They also tend to have a lot of personality and are not scared of anything :)

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
A Russian is a good choice. Only one. They cannot live in pairs.

Make the habitat as large as you possibly can. Whatever the plan is, see if you can double it. Also make an outdoor habitat for the good weather.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
A very warm welcome to the forum.

And the Russian tort is a great choice for beginners.

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
m1277.gif

D1105

Chicago
Thanks everyone for the kind welcome and informational tips! I have started the tank this weekend with the help of my best friend and his father who has the carpentry skills and tools that I don't have. The base of the table top has been completed and it just needs a few finishing touches with sanding and paint to match the desk (60"x 36") that it will go on top of. The tempered glass is being ordered to complete the table top as well as the necessary lighting, essentials, and decor. I'm hoping the size of the table top will last us a while before it outgrows it.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Welcome. Anyone who can keep a saltwater fish tank stabilized would have no problems housing a happy tortoise.
Just remember...DON'T buy a pair and DON'T buy the lighting from the pet shop until you have read about C.F.L bulbs and the dangers of using them. (Most pet shops will not offer a refund on lighting.)