Newbie needing help information

Gery

We are retired, live in Coastal Georgia with a parrot and a Jack Russel. We are contemplating adding a tort which would live indoors always. From my reading, this would suggest a Russian or Hermanns. Could you please help us with some information about daily routines: feeding schedule, frequency of cleaning cage, frequency of baths, etc. Many thanks

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

Well, people DO it, but I'm not a big fan of keeping a wild animal cooped up indoors all the time. Tortoises are not domesticated. They do much better outside in real sunshine. That's just one man's opinion, though. Many, many members here keep their tortoises just fine indoors.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
All tortoises benefit from some outside time. My preference is to have an indoor and an outdoor enclosure. Use the indoor one during inclement weather and use the outdoor one during fair weather.

Either way, both enclosures will need to be very large. Tortoises need a big "foot print" to move around in.

Dogs cannot be trusted around tortoises. Ever. Never leave them unsupervised even for one second.

All the other questions will largely depend on the species and age you get.

Kathy Coles

5 Year Member
North Carolina
I am echoing the dog comment. My wonderful, gentle collie went to chomp down on my tort the first moment he could. Which never did happen because I wouldn't let it. But the point remains. Whatever housing you get for the tort it must be dog proof. Then everyone will be happy.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
It's good that you're thinking this through at the start.

If I lived where you do, I'd have my tortoises outdoors all the time. I'd probably have box turtles if they were legal, rather than tortoises, and I'd keep them in a secure place where a little terrier could not get in.

If you must have an indoor only animal, an aquatic turtle is a better choice. Even my friend in Alaska has her tortoises out in the summer. It makes such a difference to their health and well being.