newbie looking for help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

megzy740

5 Year Member
Hi everyone. I brought a hermann tortoise 2 weeks ago and was told he was just a few months old. I now know alot of people have had problems with pet stores not giving good advice to people, but anyway i read around alot and since have changed my torts food, housing, temperature everything. My friend has hermans and she was a great help. Any advice would be great, i read that i should be weighing him... thats fine but what is this comparible to, for example what weight is expected and i dont definitely know his age.

I am also paranoid about pyramiding and shell damage. I know he is proberly too young but in the two weeks i have had him a raised line has appeared and slowly gotten worse down the centre of his shell through the middle of two segments, im sure i read somewhere that torts dont develop new sections they just grow so what could this be?

Any advice very welcome please.

agiletorts

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
San Jose, CA
Welcome to the forum!! I have few Hermann's myself and I found that they are one of the easiest to raise, so just relax a bit. If your tortoise is really a few months old then it's natural for it to experience rapid growth, especially in captivity where we tend to overfeed the tortoise. Maybe you could share some pictures of the tortoise and your setup, and a little more description as to temperature, humidity, etc.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I don't know what the humidity should be for your tort. However, if you are feeding him a proper diet and the humidity and temps are correct and you are giving warm soaks every day, the pyramiding should not exist or be very minimal. Unfortunately some will still get a little pyramiding if they were started wrong before we get them, which is usually the case. The weighing is a good thing to make sure they are consistently gaining weight and not losing. There is no set weight, as they all grow at their own pace.

Status
Not open for further replies.