Newbie Indian Star Owner

Turbostar

5 Year Member
Hi all,

Hi everyone!

Nice to know that there's lots of you out there willing to help us newbies with our tortoises!

I have had mine now for 2 days and he refuses to stay out of his bedroom no matter what. He is in a tortoise table with a ceramic at one end which gives readings between 30 & 34 6 inches away from directly under the bulb and 20 - 23 degrees in his bedroom end. There is no other heat source as that's the ambient temp of the room.

There is a UVB striplight attached to the side of the table which is the full length of the table minus the bedroom.

Should I be concerned or is it just a case of waiting for him to settle in.

Any help would be appreciated as I'm really worried! :(

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:). I can't help with your set up, someone else will have to do that. Be sure to soak him in warm water every day for 20-30 minutes and put hi in front of his food every day. He probably is still settling in and it can take some time.

Turbostar

5 Year Member
Thanks for the quick reply, thought that may be the case. Just got to learn to be patient.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!!

I don't know celsius, and I'm too lazy to convert your figures on GOOGLE. Your tortoise needs a hot spot right under the light (preferably a UVB light) of around 100F degrees. Then the temp fades to about 80F over the rest of the habitat if it's a baby tortoise, or down to 75F if it's a bigger tortoise. Tortoises won't eat if they aren't warm enough.

You can look at care sheets for leopard tortoises, as the care for star and leopard are similar.

AnnV

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
SWFL
I dont know Celsius either, but 20C sounds too cold.