My tortois is sick but with what

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quittryingtodamagemyaura

5 Year Member
I have a sulcata tortoise. He is about 1 1/2 years old. I want to say he is about 2-3 ibs. My tortoise is refusing any form of food and hasn't been drinking water either. About 2weeks ago I took him to the vet and he was treated for a respiratory infection and pin worms. He is breathing fine now, but he even rejects food including fruit!! idk what to do he's becoming more and more dehydrated and lethargic.

His tank temp is 98 degrees F on one side and 78 on the other side...
I use Yesturday News as a substrate
I keep a waterdish in at all times
I'm going to the vet today.

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
California
Hi, Welcome to the forum. I have been going through a similar experience, with a few exceptions. Yesturday News is a cat liter, right? I think that would tend to dehydrate the tortoise. You should change the substrate to a cypress mulch or coconut coir and wet it down. They hold moisture very well. Soak the tortoise in warm water a couple of times each day. I used a small plastic container and put the tort in it, then placed it under his basking light. After a few days he began soaking himself in his water dish, which is also under his basking lamp. When he stopped eating all of the usual food, even carrots and squash, I began feeding him Mazuri pellets. They have become his staple during this treatment. Good luck. I hope your tortoise gets to feeling better soon.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome to the forum.

I agree with Joe on all counts. Your enclosure temps sound good. Do those warm water soaks everyday though. That bedding has been know to cause impactions in many animals and it doesn't show up very well on an x-ray.

What are you doing for UV? Sunshine? MVB?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi "Quittryingtodamagemyaura":

Welcome to the forum!!

May we know your name and where you are?

Because your baby has stopped eating, he might benefit from some baby food soaks.

Take a jar of Gerber strained baby food. I only use the "red" ones (carrots, sweet potatoes or squash). Using a small bowl with tall sides, mix only enough warm water with the baby food to come up to the baby's side where the top shell meets the bottom shell. Stir it up and put the baby in. Leave him there for a half hour. You can put a light over the bowl, but be sure it doesn't get too hot. If you do this every day for about 3 days, you should start to see an improvement. After you get the baby out of the water and rinse him off, then set him down in front of the food and step out of sight.

You are right to be concerned. This could turn out to be very devastating for you. You must get very active in trying to get this baby to have more of an interest in life.

Good luck and keep us informed.

jagsrule100

10 Year Member!
Florida
Dizisdalife said:
Hi, Welcome to the forum. I have been going through a similar experience, with a few exceptions. Yesturday News is a cat liter, right? I think that would tend to dehydrate the tortoise. You should change the substrate to a cypress mulch or coconut coir and wet it down. They hold moisture very well. Soak the tortoise in warm water a couple of times each day. I used a small plastic container and put the tort in it, then placed it under his basking light. After a few days he began soaking himself in his water dish, which is also under his basking lamp. When he stopped eating all of the usual food, even carrots and squash, I began feeding him Mazuri pellets. They have become his staple during this treatment. Good luck. I hope your tortoise gets to feeling better soon.

Where do you get the Mazuri tortoise food? Does Petsmart or Petland have them?

Also how often do you feed the Mazuri food? like a couple times a week?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
There are a several folks here on the forum who sell it. Just do a "search" or else look through the "for sale" posts.

If you want to buy from a feed dealer, any dealer who sells Purina products can order it for you. Its called Mazuri Tortoise Diet.

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
Yvonne is right. I get Mazuri Tortoise Food from a local feed dealer that carries Purina products. I also buy wild bird feed there and found the tortoise food by accident. My Vet also sells it, so you may ask your Vet.

Status
Not open for further replies.