Newbie and confused!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

theoccargirl

5 Year Member
Hi my name is Dominique and I live in North Orange County California. December 30th my 10 year old bought our families first tortoise, Red Footed(think he is approx 4 years old and male). We purchased him from PetsMart and he actually got sick after 2 weeks because they advised me on the wrong lights(not strong enough and no UVB light). I have been doing research from the day we got him and everything is so conflicting. PetsMart took him to the Dr. and he has respitory infection which since we got him back he has been doing great. I think. It's been 3 months and he eats and soaks and is very active so he seems to be doing good. Sometimes he soaks all night, 10-12 hours at a time and then doesn't soak for a couple days. Again I get conflicting advice everywhere I look, maybe he is sick or he just likes it. I actually just purchased two baby Red Foots from a farm in Florida, Kamp Kenan, and they are scheduled to be here Tuesday. So after all this rambling I want to know what to do. What is a typical day in a tortoise life. I've heard people soak their toirtoise for 1/2 daily but than do they just need a water dish not at soaking dish? Also diet, so many different opinions, . I was wondering if someone has some daily/weekly routines(a to do list) they do so that I get this right. Especially with 2 babies arriving and I have to go out and get them a seperate enclosure till they get bigger and want to make sure I buy the right stuff. Thanks.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Florida, USA
Hi and welcome. I don't own red foots, but with hatchlings, the soaks are pretty much the same as with other baby torts. warm soaks in the morning and again before bedtime. A good, consistent schedule is important for all babies. After the 15-20 minutes soak, you'd want to feed them. At first, when you get the babies, they may be stressed out and may not eat right away. Keep offering fresh food daily. Always have water for them to soak and a drink. A plant saucer is small enough to let them climb into it if the want. Feedings can be offered two or three times a day. Keep the same schedule daily and you'll be fine.

Btw, if you have a dog, plan on getting a dog, or allow dogs to visit your home, I strongly recommend that you read Tom's thread below my name. It's. A must read.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Welcome to your one stop, online, resource for all things turtle/ tortoise! We have a specific section for red foot and yellow foot tortoises with some long time keepers that would be more than willing to give you up-to-date modern information on the care and keeping of your new life long friends. Everyone here loves to see pictures, so when you get a chance, please post some of your tortoise. Again, welcome aboard, you and your tortoises have arrived.

theelectraco

5 Year Member
Do you mind posting some pictures of your enclosure, and the type of lights, including brand and wattages. In my opinion, from what I have learned here, your tortoise should not be spending that long soaking. Perhaps your tank is too hot. What are you using to measure your temperatures?

As for diet, I feed my Redfoot grass (no fertilizer), weeds, spring mix, collards, cactus, zoo med tort food, mazuri, squash, strawberries and for protein I feed a small amount of turkey breast 2x weekly.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Dominique, and welcome to the Forum!!

Everything you need to raise a happy, healthy redfooted tortoise can be found in the Tortoise Library

After you've read about the redfooted tortoises in our library, then if you still have questions, we'll be happy to answer them for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.