NEW YORK CITY

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
GBtortoises said:
My advice on vacationing in NYC-See what you can and then travel to the Catskills, the Adirondacks and the Finger Lakes region to see what New York State is really about. Adirondack State park = 6,100,000 square acres. Catskill State park = 700,000 square acres. Best time to come-May through October. Summers are awesome here and falls are some of the most colorful in the U.S.
We're only going for 3 nights, so it'll have to be just the city this time :)

Unfortunately Liberty is closed for most of this year for maintenance. We'll be able to go to the island, but not inside.

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
New York STATE.... all those places (outside the city) sound GREAT! I wouldn't mind those! I did go salmon fishing at Niagra Falls, down river.... last October, Had a GREAT time and I'm not much into fishing. Fresh Salmon just cant be beat!!!;)

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Zamric said:
New York STATE.... all those places (outside the city) sound GREAT! I wouldn't mind those! I did go salmon fishing at Niagra Falls, down river.... last October, Had a GREAT time and I'm not much into fishing. Fresh Salmon just cant be beat!!!;)
You got to come back in September-October and go Salmon fishing near Pulaski, NY-one of the most famous Salmon runs in the world! It's crazy- 15-20 pounders all day long!

judy wayte

5 Year Member
i live in ky now but was born and raised in long island ny go to the bronx zoo and the museum of natural history if you are into art the met. judy

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
in October I got an 18lbs Salmon.... this year my buddy wants to wait a month (Nov) and go for the Steelhead run

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
Zamric said:
in October I got an 18lbs Salmon.... this year my buddy wants to wait a month (Nov) and go for the Steelhead run
Nice! Some of the worlds best Trout (fly fishing) in the Delaware river, 10 minutes from my house, even better about an hour downriver.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have been there several times. I was taught by people wiser than me that if you have nothing nice to say, then say nothing at all...

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Wow...I can't believe all the negativity about NY. To me, it's so exciting. The best restaurants, the greatest shopping, the Theater district. I think I have the best of both worlds living here. Just enough country living not to make me insane, and then a short ferry ride to the big city. I can understand how some people feel though. When I used to visit my Aunt in Texas, I couldn't wait to get home to moisturize my hair and body.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
TerryO--Gotta tell ya' most people outside of New York aren't very fond of it! I was born and raised here in the town that I'm from in the Catskills and moved back many years ago. But I spent some time in Mississippi, Texas and North Dakota and was forever defending where I was from and trying to explain that NYC is just a small little corner of a huge state. A friend in North Dakota refused to believe that I grew up on a farm, even after I brought back photos of our farm! I was even asked once when I told someone that I grew up on a farm: "Where do you keep the cows in those big buildings (skyscrapers)? That's why I always make it clear that I am from New York State and not just "New York". As soon as you say that, everyone automatically assumes NYC because that's all they've seen or heard about on television.

I've also never gone "insane" living in the country. I have more things to do here than I have time to do them all.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
We live very close to London... only 30 minutes on the train... busy and bustling (but quieter than New York). I love to go there, but it's good to come home too!

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Well, I've just got back after spending a long weekend in NYC. It was fabulous (if cold ;)) and I am presently rather jet-lagged and trying to stay awake until something closer to my normal UK bed-time!

We bought CityPass online and exchanged the receipt at our first attraction for the books of tickets.

We went up the Empire State Building by day and to the Top of The Rock one evening to see the city lights. We saw a show (Memphis) on Broadway, visited the Met, walked in Central Park, went to the AMNH and saw the planetarium... window-shopped on Fifth Avenue, saw Grand Central Station and St Patrick's cathedral.

We went out to Liberty Island (you can't climb her this year as she's being restored) and to Ellis Island and walked up Wall Street... and also visited the 911 memorial (reserve passes in advance online)

We ate very well and had a brilliant time in the USA... and I've probably missed out a load of other things we did.

More coffee required... *props eyelids open with matches :D *

batchick

5 Year Member
I'm heading there and also bought a CityPASS. Did it all work well? I can't wait. I'm going to walk myself broken and see as much as possible, whilst also being diligent and going to my conference as much as I should. Fearing the jet lag and journey - 22 hour layover in Dubai makes for a long trip.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
At least we were able to fly direct from London Heathrow to JFK. It's a flat $45 fare (plus taxes and tolls works out about $50) with a yellow cab between Manhattan and JFK. Watch out for arrivals hall sharks trying to get you in their (not yellow) cabs for $96 and their 'friendly' warning that we'd be "in a cab with the Taliban"!!!!

We walked MILES! Comfy shoes are a total necessity :D We did use cabs too for occasional longer trips on Manhattan Island (To get back to the hotel when we really could walk no further at the end of the day!)

The CityPASS was very easy to use; just hand over the book and the ticket person knows where to find their voucher in amongst the others! February is low season, so it was pretty quiet everywhere and there was no queueing.

My husband travels overseas a lot on business and uses Melatonin to help minimise jet lag. You take one half an hour before bed and it regulates your sleep pattern... it works! The problem I have is that the flight from the USA home landed at the equivalent of 4am New York time (9am in London) and I never sleep properly on planes, so I feel like I could do with a nap. Given a decent night's sleep in my own bed, I'm sure I'll be OK!

pdrobber

10 Year Member!
glad you had a good time! It's kind of an odd time to visit here though, not the holiday season and not spring or summer...not fall with the foliage. just kind of barren, cold, kind of windy and wet...LOL

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Yes, I wish you could have come for the Christmas Season, or even in the Spring. It's so beautiful then. But I'm glad you had a good time anyway.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
GBtortoises said:
I'm not saying that a vacation to NYC is a bad thing, just that there is so much more to New York State that few people across the country realize.

I have to admit I was one of those folks. :( Until I started driving the truck thru your wonderful state all I thought the state was is the city. I learned a beautiful lesson and the state is now in my top 5 most beautiful places to go. Just a beautiful countryside.

As for the city, well my biggest impression is still how small and green the Statue of Liberty really is. :D :D I think the world's craziest drivers live there. (no offense TerryO), but found it a very interesting city.

Glad you enjoyed your visit to the states and made it home safely. Why did you happen to pick NYC to travel to?

Status
Not open for further replies.