NEW YORK CITY

Status
Not open for further replies.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
SW Forida
OK fellow TFOers, we are going to New York City for one of our vacations this year. Any advice or direction would be great, keep in mind we are country folks!

Note: After egg laying season, lol. May or June is looking good.

pdrobber

10 Year Member!
Awesome! you'll have a great time. Check out the regular stops, Times Square, Rockefeller Center, Empire State Building, Central Park, maybe some museums (AMNH, Met), a bridge or two, maybe a broadway or off broadway show, lots of shopping...also Little Italy, Chinatown, WTC are interesting. Maybe take the SI Ferry and drop in on TerryO LOL. If you go to Gracie Mansion (Mayor's official "house" although Bloomberg doesn't actually live there) you can stop by my place, it's literally down the street, I can see it from my front door, 200 ft away.

Maybe I'll go watch the aldabrans for you, my parents and grandparents have places in Port Charlotte, SW FL. :p

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Don't walk with your head down. Look them in the face as you walk the streets. Don't act like tourist. Tell your wife to keep purse around neck and shoulder and put your wallet in your front pocket or shirt pocket. That is what I can tell you about having a trip to a big city. The bad people in the big cities can spot an out of towner from miles away, and that makes you a target. I am not from NY but the other better big city Chicago. Other than that have a great time:D

Luke225

5 Year Member
ALDABRAMAN said:
OK fellow TFOers, we are going to New York City for one of our vacations this year. Any advice or direction would be great, keep in mind we are country folks!

Note: After egg laying season, lol. May or June is looking good.

I was born and raised in NYC. The Village, SOHO, Time square, Little Italy, China town Battery Park, Central Park ( go for a carriage ride)
Take the staten Island ferry in battery park it was 25 cents but remember to stay on so you can come back. NYC is a great place but it is chaotic. People going fast to nowhere. Everytime I go I stay tops three hours then back home to Delaware where it's nice and quiet!

Have FUn!
Michael

pdrobber

10 Year Member!
good advice, I didn't even think of that stuff haha, it's just what I do without thinking about it. P.S. I may be one of the people who gets angry at you for not walking quickly enough. Despite the "angry and unfriendly" reputation, most New Yorkers LOVE giving directions...so don't be afraid to ask for help in subway stations, etc...often when people see tourists looking at a subway map, they're just waiting for them to ask for help, and then when they do, sometimes even more people will jump in and offer help.

TylerStewart

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV.
wellington said:
Don't walk with your head down. Look them in the face as you walk the streets. Don't act like tourist. Tell your wife to keep purse around neck and shoulder and put your wallet in your front pocket or shirt pocket. That is what I can tell you about having a trip to a big city. The bad people in the big cities can spot an out of towner from miles away, and that makes you a target. I am not from NY but the other better big city Chicago. Other than that have a great time:D

Now that's my idea of a vacation! Just keep it real and head to Vegas. Non-stop action, and you can act like a tourist and nobody really cares :)

Greg T

10 Year Member!
League City, TX
Been there a few times - fantastic place but I wouldn't want to live there! Go to Times Square and around that area for sure. Great things to see there and some fun stores to go in. Stop somewhere around there and get a brick oven pizza - simply great! Take the subways around because you have to experience that part of NYC. Go to the Fish Market and see Lady Liberty. Last time I was there, Ground Zero was still a big hole, so stop by there and see what it looks like now.

It will be a fun vacation for you!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Hey I'm walking here!!!!!!

ShadowRancher

10 Year Member!
Columbia, SC
I don't know what you guys like to do for fun but I'm a total museum rat and my fav in NY besides the obvious MET and MOMA is the Tenement Museum...just google it I swear its worth it. They have preserved buildings in the tenement district and have exhaustively researched several families so the homes look just as they did when lived in and they have actors that play the family members. It's really really cool, if I remember there is a Irish family and a Jewish family...maybe a few others. If you go to the site and get the tour times you can pick which part of history/immigrant family you follow.

And after you're done there is a spectacular gelato place across the street

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
ShadowRancher said:
I don't know what you guys like to do for fun but I'm a total museum rat and my fav in NY besides the obvious MET and MOMA is the Tenement Museum...just google it I swear its worth it. They have preserved buildings in the tenement district and have exhaustively researched several families so the homes look just as they did when lived in and they have actors that play the family members. It's really really cool, if I remember there is a Irish family and a Jewish family...maybe a few others. If you go to the site and get the tour times you can pick which part of history/immigrant family you follow.

It looks really interesting http://www.tenement.org/ :)

ShadowRancher

10 Year Member!
Columbia, SC
JoesMum said:
ShadowRancher said:

It looks really interesting http://www.tenement.org/ :)

Haha thanks for linking that for me! I was being lazy ;)

batchick

5 Year Member
This is awesome. I'm heading over to NYC for a conference next month. The Tenement Museum looks fab.

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
Never been there, never wanted to go there.... BUT always wanted to visit The Statue of Liberty.... to bad it's in NY :( (no insult intended for all you native New Yorkers out there.;))

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
My advice on vacationing in NYC-See what you can and then travel to the Catskills, the Adirondacks and the Finger Lakes region to see what New York State is really about. Adirondack State park = 6,100,000 square acres. Catskill State park = 700,000 square acres. Best time to come-May through October. Summers are awesome here and falls are some of the most colorful in the U.S.

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
GBtortoises said:
My advice on vacationing in NYC-See what you can and then travel to the Catskills, the Adirondacks and the Finger Lakes region to see what New York State is really about. Adirondack State park = 6,100,000 square acres. Catskill State park = 700,000 square acres. Best time to come-May through October. Summers are awesome here and falls are some of the most colorful in the U.S.

This sounds heavenly. My experience with NYC was that once is enough.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
DesertGrandma said:
GBtortoises said:

This sounds heavenly. My experience with NYC was that once is enough.

NYC has a lot to offer tourists as long as your into buildings and people, lots of people.

I'm just not. I live about 4 hours north, in the northern Catskills. I travel to NYC on average about once a year, mainly to attend a motorcycle show in January. The time in the city makes me really appreciate the serenity and natural beauty of the rest of the state and especially the hills where I live.

I'm not saying that a vacation to NYC is a bad thing, just that there is so much more to New York State that few people across the country realize.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Zamric said:
Never been there, never wanted to go there.... BUT always wanted to visit The Statue of Liberty.... to bad it's in NY :( (no insult intended for all you native New Yorkers out there.;))
:D:D:D My thoughts exactly

Status
Not open for further replies.