New user, also new to tortoises

bradtato

Location (City and/or State)
Richmond, VA
My name is Brad, and I'm 25 years old. I just got my first tortoise today as a Christmas gift from my parents. It's a Russian tortoise, and it's adorable!

I'm not entirely sure of it's age or gender. It seems very active, and I think we'll get along great!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Hi and welcome! Had you planned on getting a tortoise?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum, Brad!

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
Welcome to TFO. Russians are a great species. I definitely recommend lots of reading for you. Search around the forum for good information and maybe check out a few Russian tortoise Facebook groups.

bradtato

Richmond, VA
Re: RE: New user, also new to tortoises

Jacqui said:
Hi and welcome! Had you planned on getting a tortoise?

I had planned on it! It took some convincing to get my mom to agree to it, since I'm still living at her house until I can save up some money to make a down payment on a place of my own.

kanalomele said:
Welcome to TFO. Russians are a great species. I definitely recommend lots of reading for you. Search around the forum for good information and maybe check out a few Russian tortoise Facebook groups.

I hadn't thought to look on Facebook! I've been all over Google (which is how I found my way here), and cross-checking the information I find with various local pet shops.

I haven't had time to search the forums in depth yet, but there are a few questions I do have:

My little guy seems to be eager to burrow. I live in Richmond, Virginia, and our weather pattern tends to be rather erratic, so I'm keeping him (her?) indoors year-round. In the enclosure, should I make the substrate deep enough for him to dig his own burrow, or would building an above-ground burrow be feasible?

How often should I feed him? I've seen once a day, once every other day, twice a day, and several sources saying it's very easy to over-feed. Is a cuttlebone an acceptable calcium source, or should I still dust his food with calcium?

What about soaking? One source says a 20 minute soak daily, others say 20 to 30 minutes two or three times a week. Is it possible to overdo it?

Daytime/nighttime lighting/heating. The house stays close to 70 all year round, and I have currently a day time bulb, a nighttime bulb, and a UVB bulb. I've seen it suggested to keep lights on for 12-14 hours a day, and turn all light and heat sources at night, but wouldn't that defeat the purpose of a nighttime bulb?

Most importantly, what about vet visits? How often should I make them, and should I look for abutting specific to reptiles? Generally, when I think of a veterinary hospital, I think more common pets like birds, dogs, cats, rabbits, which are all very different from tortoises.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
My little guy seems to be eager to burrow.

This is a species that burrows...so the deeper the earthen substrate the better...

I'm keeping him (her?) indoors year-round.

Would strongly suggest that you set up a 100% secure outdoor enclosure for your tort to at least allow natural sun time and outdoor fresh air for each and every day you have temps above 60 with sun..

should I make the substrate deep enough for him to dig his own burrow,

This species does burrow into the ground, but not as though a tunnel type with a turn about below ground...this species is more of a dig in and cover up over yourself deep down---kinda like when a stingray wiggles into the sand, does that make sense?

How often should I feed him?

Well, it is not usual for a tort newly relocated to not show alot of interest in food, no matter how often or what you offer--so if this is the case for the tort...don't freak out at first....but at least once a day and then you can decide how the food is consumed to base what you decide (and remember, since this is a species that burrows there are times in the year he will devour everything and then lift his nose other times of the year)..this you will learn by paying attention to his behavior patter and that of the weather (even in the house his evolutionary clock will dictate alot of his behavior)..

What about soaking?

It is not uncommon for a Russian to despise soaks...but some adore it...so give it a try...if you are going to go through the set up time to do the soaks I would plan on leaving him in the warm water soak for at least 30 minutes (keep the water tepid so he does not get chilled or boiled :D) and don't be alarmed if he should flail around a bit...this is also a helpful motion--motion is exercise as well as helps the pipes clear out :rolleyes:

Daytime/nighttime lighting/heating.

LOL..this can be a bit tricky...daytime heat and uva/uvb is a good start --12-14 hours per day is going to be your gage---but remember, you are dealing with a species that brumates so you have a task at hand to keep this one convinced that it is better to remain awake through winter (;))...please note, it is better to keep a tort awake the first entire year you have introduced him into his new environment...this will also give you time to research and decide if you will support brumation or not for the tort in your care...truly a personal choice. HOWEVER, if you do decide to force him to remain awake then realize you have to plan to be tenacious some during that venture....if you are going to keep the tort awake (overwinter) then you may want to make sure that the night temps do not drop below the 70 and have a basking spot of 95+ish and a middle ground in the low 80s....and no, you do not need to keep the night bulb on a timer (figure a good height and get a temp reading and go from there)..

Most importantly, what about vet visits?

Everyone will have a different take on this...."if it aint broke dont fix it" is my general motto....again, when a tort is first relocated to a new environment there can be a few weeks or a month in which the tort has not displayed its full character (kinda shell shocked :D) then you will notice it getting a bit bold (especially this species) and keep in mind that this tort is the spiderman of the tort world---premium climber (completely climbs up off the ground, up chain link fences, wedged in the corner at a fence up the fence, seriously)...so keep this in mind for the indoor enclosure as well as any outdoor sunning enclosure,...depending on where you acquired the tort from--you likely have a wild caught tort (if purchased at a pet store) and they can be dirty little buggers (parasites and such , not all are bad so don't try to clean em free and clear as this can be just as bad)...but, keep an eye on their, well, big business and if you see something funky then act accordingly----a vet that is a reptile/tort vet should be the only vet to visit---so many things can go terribly wrong in the hands of a general vet...

So, that is what I can offer....if you wait a bit there will be others that join the conversation...oh, and we LOVE LOVE, did I say, LOVE PICS...

wismihh

id
hi Brad, welcome! i'm also newcomer here:p what tortoise there?