New tortoise owner!

poshpoodle

Location (City and/or State)
Georgia
I am new here and wanted to say hello! I adopted a sulcata tortoise from a rescue here. I am not sure if it is a male or a female although I have tried to look at all of the threads to figure it out but I am still clueless. Right now it is in my home with a russian tortoise that I also bought but it is not where they will stay. In fact I am considering taking the Russian back since I will need a lot more room for the Sulcata. I am still undecided. We live in Georgia and for now it is cold outside and I have him in a tank that I am going to trade out to a rubbermaid container. He is just in the tank for now because i had it already. He does have He has a UVV and A UVB light (I believe that is what they are). I was told that romaine is great for them but have read conflicting things so now I am unsure. My plan is to plant lots of grasses for him this summer and to have my husband build an outdoor heated home for him but to allow him roam of the yard. I do have a privacy fence but think I will have to put cinder blocks around the perimeter to ensure he does not get out. I thought I would sink a large, shallow birdbath bowl or a terra-cotta saucer for his water dish. I also have timothy hay and alfalfa hay he is currently getting but he is not feeding on it. Any info would be fabulous! Any other Georgia torosie owners here?

Thanks!
Brandy

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
Sounds like you're off to a great start! Growing him lots of grasses and getting him outside is a great idea. :) f you post a picture of its tail and underside, and if its big enough, we may be able to tell you its sex.

Welcome to the forum!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Brandy:

Welcome to the Forum!

I'm not sure, from reading your introduction, if you are keeping the Russian with the Sulcata?? If so, please separate them immediately! Russian tortoises that are sold in pet stores come to us pretty dirty (full of parasites) because of the way they are captured, housed and shipped. Keeping a young sulcata with a parasite-ridden Russian tortoise might be a death sentence for the sulcata.

poshpoodle

Georgia
Yvonne, Unfortunately yes they have been housed together. I was told at the pet store it would be ok. I have since learned differently. I do have pics of his plastron and would love a guess as to whether it is a male or female. It has a short tail that barely sticks out from beneath it's shell. It may be too early to tell but I am in love with him/her already. I wish I had gone with larger tortoises though because I fear he could get lost in my yard easily, with larger ones I would better be able to locate them. Of course they are not out doors yet. I am trying to learn all I can and now regret getting the Russian since they can not be housed together- although I love her already too! They are both so full of character! Please excuse the pics if i am able to upload them he needs to be scrubbed as he is quite dirty. He was housed with other tortoises in a barn.

poshpoodle

Georgia
Mctlong, Can you tell me what makes you think female, Please? Also how confident are you in that guess? Thank you for taking the time to tell me. I sure do love her!!
mctlong said:

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
poshpoodle said:
Mctlong, Can you tell me what makes you think female, Please? Also how confident are you in that guess? Thank you for taking the time to tell me. I sure do love her!!
mctlong said:

I'm never 100% sure with females, not unless they actually lay eggs.

The curvature of your animal's anal scutes as well as that teensy tail are indicative of a female.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
you can keep the Russian,, but you need a different enclosure for it.. mine live outdoors 24/7.

that's also a bit big for a Rubbermaid container...
have you given her a good soaking? read Toms Info in the sulcata section..
for diet.. grasses, weeds, hay, lettuce...
lots of grazing and excersise.. sunshine and calcium.

poshpoodle

Georgia
Laura, I figured the bigger the better- right? I have read his info and am considering keeping the Russian outside in her own enclosure. Thank you for the info!!