chloeeljay

Location (City and/or State)
Wales
Hello :) My name is Chloe. I am 19 and I have been researching into getting a tortoise for a pet for two or so years now. I just haven’t made the leap yet!
I came very close to getting a young Russian tortoise a few days ago but chickened out. I want to provide my tortoise with the best love and care I can... and I am just worried about it, you know?

I know what food to feed the tortoise (and what not to feed the tortoise), I know it needs a gentle clean every once in a while and some calcium too. I know that the tortoise needs to be able to roam and bask and have a drop in temperature at either end of the enclosure etc and that the lights need to be on for 12 or so hours each day and off at night. I went to see my local reptile centre today and they have vivariums. I was thinking of buying one of those. (Yes, I will cover the glass so the tortoise doesn’t get confused by the glass if needed.)

The assistant showed me how it worked. There was a small basking bulb, a main (UVB I think?) light and a thermostat; he also mentioned a heat mat?
So... question 1... is that sufficient for a tortoise enclosure? Will the tort not overheat from the light and the mat (and the warmth of my centrally heated home)? What about the temperature - is it safe to turn the lights off and drop the temperature in the evenings... and to what temperature?
(Yes I know I should have asked him this; I was too mesmerised by the baby Hermanns :D)

Secondly. I have my eye on a Russian tortoise but I have also fallen in love with the Hermann breed - adorable! I want a small tortoise, as I don’t think it is fair to keep a huge tortoise in one enclosure, whereas smaller tortoises mean it is manageable. Which breed would you recommend?

Thirdly, I live in a house that is adapted for a disabled person (myself) which unfortunately means my garden is not the largest. Summertime is also rather temperamental, sometimes sunny and hot, sometimes very cold and rainy. During these months, do I let the tortoise roam outside? Would I need an outdoor pen for the tort or do I just let him roam and bring him indoors afterwards?

Thank you for reading. I am a very anxious owner. Sometimes I worry that I shouldn’t be getting a tortoise. Does it sound like I am prepared? Is there anything I have missed? Or need to know?

Thanks,

Chloe

LaLaP

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Portland, OR
Hello and welcome Chloe! Good idea to do the research first... you're smarter than most of us (me included).
I would suggest buying something with a lot of room. Adult Russians need 8x4ft to roam. Also be careful with pet store advice.. it is often wrong. You can trust the info you get here on this forum though. These links should be helpful.

https://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

https://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/

That second one is for a Russian but you should be able to find a similar caresheet for a Hermans in the section for that species. Happy torting!