New Tortoise, are tank backgrounds a bad idea, and how can I help him adjust?

herbiethetortoise

Just two days ago I recently purchased a very small Russian tortoise. He is active and friendly, but he hasn't even gone near his food or water bowls since we've gotten him, and he just likes to sit and stare at the background on the back of the tank. I have tried to give him strawberry tops, cabbage, zucchini, and lettuce but nothing has worked. He seems to have no interest in anything but the wall, and he might be trying to hibernate. Should I be worried about him, and was the background a bad idea?ImageUploadedByTortForum1388456492.912877.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Never heard of backgrounds being bad. What are your temps and what are you reading them with? Give us as much info as possible about his enclosure, substrate, temps, etc.

herbiethetortoise

It is 85 in his tank right now, he is in a glass 40 gallon tank with reptile bark from PetCo, along with one corner that has Timothy hay

Watsonpartyof4

5 Year Member
herbiethetortoise said:
Just two days ago I recently purchased a very small Russian tortoise. He is active and friendly, but he hasn't even gone near his food or water bowls since we've gotten him, and he just likes to sit and stare at the background on the back of the tank. I have tried to give him strawberry tops, cabbage, zucchini, and lettuce but nothing has worked. He seems to have no interest in anything but the wall, and he might be trying to hibernate. Should I be worried about him, and was the background a bad idea?

I have a seven foot tank for my Redfoot Tyrone and for some reason or other he will be going about his business ...then suddenly he will stop and just stare at the background... He is still like a statue ... Just staring and staring and staring. I like to think he his day dreaming of just going off into the jungle ... Or maybe he thought he saw something. In any event he is fine. Redfoots don't hibernate so I don't know if that explains your Russians lack of wanting to eat. Double check your temps and give him a good soak. What kind of lights are you using? Remember no coil bulbs!

StarSapphire22

5 Year Member
Fargo, ND
My current background is from when my tank was used for fish...and so the image has a small school of fish in there. Sometimes Littlefoot just stops and gives them the stinkeye for a minute or two then goes about his day.

I don't think there's anything wrong with backgrounds. Many people have used them here with no issue. There's likely some underlying reason for your tort's behavior...but I highly doubt it's a background. Temperatures, being scared or in shock, illness, etc. all seem to be more likely culprits.

herbiethetortoise

Thank you for all the advice, as I am typing I'm listening to my tort bury himself further into the hay. Is he trying to hibernate? Should I stop him?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Do you have a hiding place for the tortoise?

I think your tank is too small. You need a big enough space so that you can have a warm end and a room temperature end. Russian tortoises do better when they are being kept a bit on the cool side, and your temp of 85F overall is way too hot for him. It should be around 100F directly under the light, fading to about 85F on one end then down to room temp on the other end.

Also, it takes a while for a tortoise to settle in to his new home. Tortoises are territorial and you have displaced him from the territory he has been used to.

Can we please see an overall picture of the whole habitat?

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
Everything Yvonne said.

Have you had a chance to review the Russia tortoise section of this forum located here? - http://www.tortoiseforum.org/forum-81.html. The first four threads found at the top of the section provide care recommendations for Russians. If you haven't already, read through them - they provide valuable information on temperatures, habitat, diet, etc.

gieseygirly

5 Year Member
Ohio
I use backgrounds; the torts seem to love them! They often will sit in front of them and just stare for a bit, much like yours. Give him some time - I'm sure he'll eat when he's ready.