New tortoise and I have some questions/concerns.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The white spots are hard to see as the shiny shells and lighting. I'm going to guess a possible fungus, but better pictures and a guess from @Yvonne G will be more accurate then mine.

Peytons torts

I got my greek hatchlings on dec 31 :D

Turtle shack/tortoise shack is not a very good place to buy torts they usually send sick or dead torts if your ever looking into buying another tort I definitely recommend tortoisesupply for the best healthy torts hope your tort is ok :(

Spartagus981

5 Year Member
I got my greek hatchlings on dec 31 :D

Turtle shack/tortoise shack is not a very good place to buy torts they usually send sick or dead torts if your ever looking into buying another tort I definitely recommend tortoisesupply for the best healthy torts hope your tort is ok :(

I went with turtle shack because they temperature sex their torts and I needed females.

Blkjkoknhrt

I've been using reptibark but am having humidity issues as well. His hide is 80-90% humidity and shallower spots in the substrate reach 70-80%, so I tried mixing in a box of shredded sphagnum moss to hold moisture.

Will report back.

Also, the actual substrate should be relatively dry, right, Hermann's shouldn't be walking in moist woodchips, should it?

I don't like the coco coir because when it dries its DRY and it also makes everything look dirty and muddy (OCD, that's why I have container pets! ;)).

PaulD

Spartagus981

5 Year Member
It's hard to tell with the light reflecting so brightly on the carapace, but I'm going to GUESS it might be hard water stains??? It also might be paint?????

Also, there's quite a bit of cloth fuzz on the tortoises. What do you keep them in? Towel? Not good.

Please read the hermann's care sheet that's pinned to the top of our Hermanni section.
20150102_155903.jpg 20150102_155903.jpg 20150102_155903.jpg

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Austria
Looks like paint to me - but why would they paint the whole shell... :confused:
Can you scrape it off (carefully of course)?

Spartagus981

5 Year Member
So on December 30th, 2014 I received my Greek hatchling and Hermann's hatchling that I ordered from Turtleshack.com/Tortoiseshack.com.
When they arrived the Hermann's had these white spots on his shell. So it has been a couple of days and now they are both eating, pooping, and wandering around as I suspect tortoises normally do. But I am new and inexperienced, so I'm looking for advice.

What are these white spots on the carapace?

Should I be worried?

I will be able to post more and better pictures after I soak him later. Thank you for your help in advance!!!
Looks like paint to me - but why would they paint the whole shell... :confused:
Can you scrape it off (carefully of course)?
No, it doesn't easily come off.

seiff

I got my pair around the same time and learned about the humidity in the car during the exchange... (cash for torts on the fly, drug dealer style!). He advised coconut husk, and they absolutely love it. They actually dig in and bury themselves at night... and always seem to have it all over themselves from all the digging. They are quite active and a bit mischievous.