New tortoise and I have some questions/concerns.

Spartagus981

5 Year Member
I got 2 new tortoi today and my Hermann has white spots on his shell. I am wondering what these are and if I have anything to worry about. The other is a Greek and everything appears to be normal. If you have any advice, please help. Thank you in advance!

20141230_122719.jpg 20141230_122743.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Spartagus981

5 Year Member
Yes they will be soaked daily and no, their habitat is really dry. I read online that they need low humidity.

Spartagus981

5 Year Member
So they need humidity? What % is best?

Also I'm curious about the white spots on my Hermann's shell?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
It's hard to tell with the light reflecting so brightly on the carapace, but I'm going to GUESS it might be hard water stains??? It also might be paint?????

Also, there's quite a bit of cloth fuzz on the tortoises. What do you keep them in? Towel? Not good.

Please read the hermann's care sheet that's pinned to the top of our Hermanni section.

Spartagus981

5 Year Member
T
It's hard to tell with the light reflecting so brightly on the carapace, but I'm going to GUESS it might be hard water stains??? It also might be paint?????

Also, there's quite a bit of cloth fuzz on the tortoises. What do you keep them in? Towel? Not good.

Please read the hermann's care sheet that's pinned to the top of our Hermanni section.

The fuzz is from the container they were shipped in. Please don't be rude to me.

Kathy Coles

5 Year Member
North Carolina
He meant damp. Of course. I will share that the whole "high humidity" thing is very hard to accomplish. We all get these torts and want to look at them but if their enclosure isn't closed, got a top on it, then all the humidity just goes out. I found using a repti fogger to be the best and I made his enclosure with glass sides so I can see him.

johnandjade

5 Year Member
scotland
hello and welcome! we have a 2yr old hermans as well. i can't recommend adding a cover to encloser enough, we found a vast improvement in conditions when we did, and changed substrate from wood chip to coco coir and sphagnum moss and our little has not been happyer! cut outs are needed for lamps to allow all the 'rays' to reach the tort.

i have been told by herrmanni chris (the man in the know) that for a 2yr hermans maintaining between 50% and 70% is fine. just be sure he/she has fresh water daily, a shallow terracotta dish sunk into ground level is ideal. also regularly soaking is beneficial.

sorry i dont know about greeks, im new to torts but lovin em :). as has been said, check out the care sheets and your tort will thank you for it, dont be afraid to ask for help, everone here is really helpfull and freindly! best of luck :)

Spartagus981

5 Year Member
I figure I'll keep the substrate moist and then spritz it down with a misting bottle a few times a day. That should keep the humidity up.

Spartagus981

5 Year Member
The plantation soil came in and they seem much happier, the humidity is also higher and easier to sustain. Thank you all for the help and advice!

johnandjade

5 Year Member
scotland
way hey!! there are great mini humidy readers on amazon for about £10, also temp guns are good to have and cost is about the same. your off to a good start and the people on here are really happy to help with any q's or concerns.

hope you and yours have a good new year and all the best when it comes :)

Spartagus981

5 Year Member
way hey!! there are great mini humidy readers on amazon for about £10, also temp guns are good to have and cost is about the same. your off to a good start and the people on here are really happy to help with any q's or concerns.

hope you and yours have a good new year and all the best when it comes :)

I have an eco terra temp gun and that works great; and I have 2 humidity gauges in the tank. One from Big Apple Pet Supplies and the other is Repti-Therm.

Spartagus981

5 Year Member
So on December 30th, 2014 I received my Greek hatchling and Hermann's hatchling that I ordered from Turtleshack.com/Tortoiseshack.com.
When they arrived the Hermann's had these white spots on his shell. So it has been a couple of days and now they are both eating, pooping, and wandering around as I suspect tortoises normally do. But I am new and inexperienced, so I'm looking for advice.

What are these white spots on the carapace?

Should I be worried?

I will be able to post more and better pictures after I soak him later. Thank you for your help in advance!!!