New tortoise adopter

Status
Not open for further replies.

zalameria

5 Year Member
Hi everyone!

I opened up my backyard to a desert tortoise in May this year, Ralf. I am told he is about 30yrs old. He didnt have any other info but his name. I spent tons of money on different foods to try to find something he likes. Ended up the only thing he would eat is my Fescue sod and baby spinach if it has zucchini with it. He became lethargic a few months ago and my local chapter guy told me its normal for him to stay in the burrow. That sick tortoises normally come out and lay around.

Last weekend he brought me a younger tortoise that would better use my large enclosure since Ralf doesnt use it that much. So the new guy is about 10 yrs old with no other history or anything. He seems to like kale and other greens. Yesterday he wouldnt come out and today he looked at me and blew bubbles out his nose! The older guy is too.

I've read about RTS, is this it? I'm thinking the older guy has had it a while and now the new guys has it too!

I'm also here to learn more about desert tortoises... i've read a lot on your forums since May, thought i should start posting!

Jessie
Ridgecrest, CA

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
SW Forida
zalameria said:
Hi everyone!

I opened up my backyard to a desert tortoise in May this year, Ralf. I am told he is about 30yrs old. He didnt have any other info but his name. I spent tons of money on different foods to try to find something he likes. Ended up the only thing he would eat is my Fescue sod and baby spinach if it has zucchini with it. He became lethargic a few months ago and my local chapter guy told me its normal for him to stay in the burrow. That sick tortoises normally come out and lay around.

Last weekend he brought me a younger tortoise that would better use my large enclosure since Ralf doesnt use it that much. So the new guy is about 10 yrs old with no other history or anything. He seems to like kale and other greens. Yesterday he wouldnt come out and today he looked at me and blew bubbles out his nose! The older guy is too.

I've read about RTS, is this it? I'm thinking the older guy has had it a while and now the new guys has it too!

I'm also here to learn more about desert tortoises... i've read a lot on your forums since May, thought i should start posting!

Jessie
Ridgecrest, CA

Welcome!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum, Jessie!

I don't now if your local chapter person told you or not, so I'll tell you. New-to-you tortoises should not be allowed to hibernate the first year. Your two are now a perfect example of not allowing them to hibernate.

The bubbly noses might just be due to stress from having been uprooted and placed in a new environment, but just to be safe, I'd set them up in individual large hospital habitats indoors and warm them up to about 85F degrees.

What is the winter weather like in Ridgecrest? Does it get cold enough for them to hibernate?

I have two full grown female desert tortoises with on again/off again abscesses on their noses, and I haven't been able to allow them to hibernate for the past three winters. The habitat I set up for them is 4'x8'. It isn't ideal, but it is plenty big enough for the winter.

I put down a sheet of 3/4" plywood up against one wall in a corner of the car port. Then I stacked cinder blocks around the edge of the plywood, three bricks high. I cut-to-fit some styrofoam insulation that comes in sheets and lined the inside, then put up a protecting cover of 1/2" plywood all around the inside. The lid is another sheet of plywood with the styrofoam insulation glued to the inside of it. Then I have a light for day time (but on good days I'll prop open the lid) and a black light for night time. There is a pig blanket on one end to keep them warm.

Our winters here get down in the 20's occasionally, but more usually around the upper 30's. This set up has worked out for me just fine.

Sorry to be so wordy, but you didn't sound as if you have much experience with tortoises and keeping one awake during the winter is kind of a hard job.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
This is an intro page. You might want to repost your concerns about a possible 'RI' (respiratory infection) in the section titled 'Tortoise Health', or under the Desert tortoise section.

I own Horsfield/Steppe/Russian torts (pick your favorite name), and your concerns sound valid.
You might also contact the local chapter?

Welcome and good luck!

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Welcome to the forum. I hope your torts get well soon.

zalameria

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
Welcome to the Forum, Jessie!

I don't now if your local chapter person told you or not, so I'll tell you. New-to-you tortoises should not be allowed to hibernate the first year. Your two are now a perfect example of not allowing them to hibernate.

The bubbly noses might just be due to stress from having been uprooted and placed in a new environment, but just to be safe, I'd set them up in individual large hospital habitats indoors and warm them up to about 85F degrees.

What is the winter weather like in Ridgecrest? Does it get cold enough for them to hibernate?

I have two full grown female desert tortoises with on again/off again abscesses on their noses, and I haven't been able to allow them to hibernate for the past three winters. The habitat I set up for them is 4'x8'. It isn't ideal, but it is plenty big enough for the winter.

I put down a sheet of 3/4" plywood up against one wall in a corner of the car port. Then I stacked cinder blocks around the edge of the plywood, three bricks high. I cut-to-fit some styrofoam insulation that comes in sheets and lined the inside, then put up a protecting cover of 1/2" plywood all around the inside. The lid is another sheet of plywood with the styrofoam insulation glued to the inside of it. Then I have a light for day time (but on good days I'll prop open the lid) and a black light for night time. There is a pig blanket on one end to keep them warm.

Our winters here get down in the 20's occasionally, but more usually around the upper 30's. This set up has worked out for me just fine.

Sorry to be so wordy, but you didn't sound as if you have much experience with tortoises and keeping one awake during the winter is kind of a hard job.

Wow, yeah, my local chapter doesnt seem to know anything. The guy brought me Ralf and let me put him in an enclosure with a poisonous plant in it! I found out myself when he was flipped over with vomit the next day. Luckily it was easy to relocate the wall to exclude the plant.

It gets the same, 20's/30's in the winter here. High desert... And no, the guy didnt tell me about not letting them hibernate. I really have no faith in the local chapter now whatsoever! I figured i should take the initiative and find experts on my own. No tortoise is going to die on my watch!

Thanks for the tips. I will have to look around and see what i can find and post again for help with this.

Status
Not open for further replies.