New tortie owner!

pixDelirious

Hi all! I'm a new tortoise owner. Just adopted a Russian ~3 weeks ago named Castiel (that was the name he came with, didn't have the heart to change it). He was a drop-off at the shelter I got him from -- poor kid/person who had him had a divorce in his family and couldn't keep him. :( I've always wanted a tortoise so when I saw one with a tearjerker story and named after one of my favorite TV show characters, I knew it was fate! He's my little nugget. My cats are afraid of him. Here, have some pictures!

When I was going through the adoption process, russiantortoise.net and this place was where I came (and continue to come!) for information. Figured I'd get an account here and introduce myself to all you lovely people!

I do have a question though, and if you'd like me to make a thread in the tort health section I'll understand: he hasn't pooped in about a week, whereas before this it was every other day to every few days. Cas is still a voracious eater, and very active when I take him out of his enclosure, so alarm bells aren't going off yet, but I'm still a little worried. Is this normal?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:). Give him a warm soak at least 3 times a week and be sure his temps and basking spot are correct with a good gauge. Those disc type sold at pet stores are not reliable,

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum!

The previous owner did a nice job raising the tortoise. He's very pretty. But I don't think he had a UVB light over Castiel because his shell looks too pristine. You did good checking with russiantortoise.org. They have a very good care sheet.

pixDelirious

Thanks guys! Pooping problem solved itself since I upped his bath times.

@Yvonne G -- Yeah, the shelter mentioned something about that; once I got him home he had a heat lamp and a Reptisun UVB light. What are their shells supposed to look like? I don't think I was aware that a shell could look TOO nice! haha.