New Tort

Status
Not open for further replies.

Derby

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Florida
Hello,
My name is Brody and I now own a beautiful Russian tortoise named Derby :]. I'm not sure of his/her age or sex, so I'd like someone to help me out with that. (though I do believe Derby is about a year or two old).
I previously owned a Redfoot tortoise, but he died shortly after I got him due to his previous living conditions.

I have made an outdoor enclosure for Derby. It is a 5x6 fenced enclosure. Inside of it, I have a mound of dirt (incase it rains and Derby needs higher ground), a large broken pot, a shallow dish for water, and quite a bit of timothy hay. I do live in South Florida so it gets pretty hot, but half of the enclosure is shaded mid-day. In the morning, it's completely shaded, and towards the afternoon, it's generally full sun.

So far, I am feeding Derby some green leaf lettuce, romaine, and radicchio. I have heard they need calcium, so I was considering buying a calcium powder, but a friend said their tortoise used a cuttlebone, so I decided to try it?

Does anyone have any suggestions on something I should be doing differently? Thanks :D

Attachments

• IMG03514-20100818-1413.jpg
    IMG03514-20100818-1413.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG03510-20100818-1412.jpg
    IMG03510-20100818-1412.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG03515-201e00818-1413.jpg
    IMG03515-201e00818-1413.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG03511-20100818-1412.jpg
    IMG03511-20100818-1412.jpg
    156.6 KB · Views: 52

Derby

5 Year Member
Florida
Microtrumpet said:
he looks like a male cuz he tail is to the one side.

travisgn

5 Year Member
I really like the name Derby. And the use of the top of a plastic tote for water is very resourceful.

The only suggestion I would have is trying out some additional hides. That pot is very big and might not feel secure. If he's a committed burrower he might never use the hides, especially with plenty of hay and dirt available, but I like having options. Mine has a log hide, a small pot hide and a section of his table enclosed in wood, and he only rarely uses any of them, preferring to burrow instead.

And I hope the fencing is nice and secure both above and below ground. :)

Derby

5 Year Member
Florida
travisgn said:
I really like the name Derby. And the use of the top of a plastic tote for water is very resourceful.

The only suggestion I would have is trying out some additional hides. That pot is very big and might not feel secure. If he's a committed burrower he might never use the hides, especially with plenty of hay and dirt available, but I like having options. Mine has a log hide, a small pot hide and a section of his table enclosed in wood, and he only rarely uses any of them, preferring to burrow instead.

And I hope the fencing is nice and secure both above and below ground. :)

I'll definitely try out some different hides, thanks. And the fencing is very secure above ground and goes into the ground about an inch and a half, which I'm hoping is enough. So far, he's only tried to go through the fence, not underneath it.

:]

madiekins

5 Year Member
Congrats. on the new tort. He looks like he'll be happy in the home you made for him.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Age will be next to impossible to say simply because unless you know his ( ooks male to me also) hatchdate you simply can't tell. He looks wild caught to me and depnding on the pet store you got him from most sell almost exsclusivly WC. Petsmart and petco = WC and most likely will need a vet visit for a parasite test. Sorry to hear about your RF and welcome to the forum.

Yourlocalpoet

5 Year Member
Yorkshire, United Kingdom
Derby said:
So far, I am feeding Derby some green leaf lettuce, romaine, and radicchio. I have heard they need calcium, so I was considering buying a calcium powder, but a friend said their tortoise used a cuttlebone, so I decided to try it?

Cuttle bone is fine but I'd recommend buying calcium powder too, my tortoise always ignores the cuttlebone. The madam.
Welcome to TFO. :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Brody:

Welcome to the forum!!

I also think you have a male tortoise.

The picture looks like a little princess in her 4-poster canopy bed all draped with gauzey cloth!

Derby

5 Year Member
Florida
Yourlocalpoet said:
Cuttle bone is fine but I'd recommend buying calcium powder too, my tortoise always ignores the cuttlebone. The madam.

OK, I'm going to get a calcium powder then! :] Is a generic brand from Wallgreens alright? Or does it have to be something specific?

dmmj said:
Age will be next to impossible to say simply because unless you know his ( ooks male to me also) hatchdate you simply can't tell. He looks wild caught to me and depnding on the pet store you got him from most sell almost exsclusivly WC. Petsmart and petco = WC and most likely will need a vet visit for a parasite test. Sorry to hear about your RF and welcome to the forum.

I'll be sure to bring him to a vet ASAP. Thanks :]

Yourlocalpoet

5 Year Member
Yorkshire, United Kingdom
Derby said:
Yourlocalpoet said:

OK, I'm going to get a calcium powder then! :] Is a generic brand from Wallgreens alright? Or does it have to be something specific?

I'm not from the US so I'm not familiar with what you have available, I use Nutrobal or Arkvits but you can use pure calcium carbonate powder or even human calcium tablets, the latter will probably be cheaper.

Status
Not open for further replies.