Hello

Lu_x85

Hello All,

Lovely to meet you all and I'm really looking forward to getting to know you all and learning from your many combined years of tortoise keeping!

I'm new to the world of Redfoot tortoise keeping but I'm due to welcome one to the family in the next couple of weeks! (Very excited!)

A little bit about me: I'm a primary school teacher in the Midlands of the U.K. My animals are my world and I volunteer for a number of rescue centres and do lots of charity fundraising. I also play Roller Derby in my spare time.

So that's me! Lovely to meet you all!

Lu

Lu_x85

Hello and welcome. I'm from Lancashire but there aren't that many Brits on here. :D

Hello! I don't suppose you're a Redfoot keeper? Would love to see some Redfoot set ups from Brits, as our climate is hardly tropical!

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Fes, Morocco
Hello, Lu, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
is a good place to start.
I'm originally from the UK, but don't keep Redfoots.
I believe Craig keeps Redfoots in the UK.
@Anyfoot
He's usually a friendly, amenable and helpful chap.
Do you do Roller Derby in Derby ?
(though that's sort of East Midlands so the joke doesn't quite work.:()

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Lu, and welcome to the Forum!

The wife of one of our members - @mike taylor - is also in roller derby.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Hello All,

Lovely to meet you all and I'm really looking forward to getting to know you all and learning from your many combined years of tortoise keeping!

I'm new to the world of Redfoot tortoise keeping but I'm due to welcome one to the family in the next couple of weeks! (Very excited!)

A little bit about me: I'm a primary school teacher in the Midlands of the U.K. My animals are my world and I volunteer for a number of rescue centres and do lots of charity fundraising. I also play Roller Derby in my spare time.

So that's me! Lovely to meet you all!

Lu
Hi Lu.

Yeah we are few and far between us redfoot keepers in the uk(for now). There is a few though. Most keep med species.

Where in the Midlands are you?

What sort of size is the redfoot your getting?

Have you got a set up prepared yet, best to get everything correct before you actually get the tort.
Maybe start a thread in the enclosure section so we can help.

Welcome BTW.

Lu_x85

Lu_x85

Hi Lu.

Yeah we are few and far between us redfoot keepers in the uk(for now). There is a few though. Most keep med species.

Where in the Midlands are you?

What sort of size is the redfoot your getting?

Have you got a set up prepared yet, best to get everything correct before you actually get the tort.
Maybe start a thread in the enclosure section so we can help.

Welcome BTW.

Hello,

I've had the tortoise reserved now for a month so we can get the set up ready and trialled prior to the arrival of the tort. This is so we can trial the irrigation system on a timer and check the humidity is just right, as well as getting the temp gradient right. Once all is set up I'll post pics. My main thing at the moment is finding out more about suitable plants to plant out the indoor enclosure with and sourcing those.

I will post a pic of the little one I'm getting. I'm in Derby. :)

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Hello,

I've had the tortoise reserved now for a month so we can get the set up ready and trialled prior to the arrival of the tort. This is so we can trial the irrigation system on a timer and check the humidity is just right, as well as getting the temp gradient right. Once all is set up I'll post pics. My main thing at the moment is finding out more about suitable plants to plant out the indoor enclosure with and sourcing those.

I will post a pic of the little one I'm getting. I'm in Derby. :)
Cool, look forward to seeing your enclosure and tort. Is the enclosure a closed system or open table type?

PJay

5 Year Member
Virginia
Nice looking little redfoot! Thanks for sharing.

Lu_x85

Cool, look forward to seeing your enclosure and tort. Is the enclosure a closed system or open table type?

I've gone for a closed system (custom made from materials which suit a humid set up) so that we can maintain the humidity and a temperature gradient. My vision is for it to be planted out nicely, with some shelters along with areas of sphagnum moss and the majority of substrate being orchid bark.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
I've gone for a closed system (custom made from materials which suit a humid set up) so that we can maintain the humidity and a temperature gradient. My vision is for it to be planted out nicely, with some shelters along with areas of sphagnum moss and the majority of substrate being orchid bark.
Sounds good, maybe I can learn something from you regarding plants, mine all died or got trampled on. Lol. Only thing I can grow is millet.