New to turtles

Nik777

Hi! My name is Nik. I live in Virginia, Hampton Roads. We recently bought a house, while my children were playing outside they found a turtle. They guilted me into keeping it because at the time is was 70 degrees outside but was suppose to drop to freezing that night. I thought it was a box turtle until I went to petsmart and saw a Russian tortoise, and had an aha moment! I have rocks in his tank and noticed he was munching on a couple. I know that some animals do this to aid in digestion. Is this ok?

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Its not ok for them to eat rocks . Can you post a picture of the tortoise or turtle in question? So we can help you better . Different turtles and tortoises need different care .

bradtato

Location (City and/or State)
Richmond, VA
Re: RE: New to turtles

Nik777 said:
Hi! My name is Nik. I live in Virginia, Hampton Roads. We recently bought a house, while my children were playing outside they found a turtle. They guilted me into keeping it because at the time is was 70 degrees outside but was suppose to drop to freezing that night. I thought it was a box turtle until I went to petsmart and saw a Russian tortoise, and had an aha moment! I have rocks in his tank and noticed he was munching on a couple. I know that some animals do this to aid in digestion. Is this ok?

Can you post some photos? Russian tortoises aren't native to this region (to my knowledge), so it's likely you're either mistaken, or have found a rogue pet. I've recently learned that two key features in identifying a Russian is that their shell is as wide as it is long, and they only have four toenails, instead of five.

If it is indeed a Russian, mine likes to bask around 93 degrees at the top of his shell, and sleeps pretty much anywhere, though most frequently in a forever away from everything, at about 68 degrees. He gets soaked in lukewarm water daily, just before feeding. I then let him wander the house (with a close eye on him, of course). All in all, that takes about an hour and a half or so.

Nik777

ImageUploadedByTortForum1389209281.223055.jpg

ImageUploadedByTortForum1389209343.709719.jpg

He (or she) is very sweet and curious!! He watches everything from the kids playing to the dog! That's why I think he is a pet that someone let go, which makes me very upset! BUT everything happens for a reason and now he is very spoiled with his fresh salads every day, his little pool and his hideaway along with the rocks he likes to lay on.

Last edited by a moderator:

bradtato

Richmond, VA
I'm no expert, but it certainly does look like a Russian to me :)

I've only had mine for a couple weeks, but I'm already attached. Russians have a great personality, and they love exploring. Make sure your enclosure is large and full of stuff. Many suggest growing your own greens, though I've been successful with organic spring mix greens from any grocery store. Variety is key to a healthy diet for these little guys.

StarSapphire22

5 Year Member
Fargo, ND
Please check out the Russian care sheet, under Mediterranean Species>Russian Tortoises, stickied near the top.

Nik777

I have read that variety is key. I went out and bought kale, spinach, mustards, etc.... I shred carrots and dice up tomatoes, they seem to be his favorite! I put a larger soaking dish in with him today and he almost seemed to be smiling!! After that I shut the dog in her room and allowed "Bob" to roam. This will be a daily thing for my Russian! Any other tips I would greatly appreciate!! How can you tell the age and sex?

StarSapphire22

5 Year Member
Fargo, ND
Tomatoes are like candy...tasty, but too much can give an upset tummy. They, and other fruits, should be fed in moderation...at absolute most, 1 tiny piece once per week...even less frequently is better. Mine gets one tiny slice of a cherry tomato or strawberry on the 22nd each month (his birthday) and that's it.

Age can be difficult to tell...and you likely won't get a concrete answer. For sexing, please post a pic of the underside of the tail.

Other general husbandry tips: it's really important you remove the gravel and replace it with a suitable substrate (I prefer coco coir, like eco-earth). It's a choking/impaction hazard. Please make sure you are providing water in a clay flower pot saucer at all times. Also, please do not let your tort roam the floor, it's too cold and dangerous. And again, please read the care sheet stickied at the top of the Russian forums. I can't stress that enough.

Good luck with your new addition! They are lots of fun. :)

Nik777

I read that before I even posted. I will get rid of the gravel ASAP! Today was the first day I gave him the tomatoes, and yes, he went after it like my kids do with candy! I will post a pic of the tail probably tomorrow.

Why does it need to be clay?

WillTort2

5 Year Member
The reason most keepers like the clay water dishes is that the rough texture provides some traction for the tortoise. Many Russians will walk thru their water dish numerous times during the day.

Two things to be very cautious about: A) Dogs regard tortoises as chew toys and can very often injure or kill a small tortoise. B) Roaming the floor can cause a curious tort to eat small items that the vacuum cleaner may have missed leading to impaction or chocking or poisoning.

If you have a fenced in back yard, it would be good to build a large walled enclosure for the warm weather months. That would allow your Russian to bask in true sunlight which will provide the UV rays that are essential for their health.

The outdoor enclosure walls should be buried several inches into the ground to discourage digging out. The upper corners should be capped to prevent climbing to escape. Russians are known as the great escape artists both by climbing and by digging.

Welcome to the forum and keep in mind that many Russian torts seem to react well to children, even following toddlers around the yard.

Good luck and enjoy your tortoise! You will find that the forum members here always want what is best for the torts even though they do not always agree about the exact methods.

PS: Be aware that torts will eat feces, both theirs and other animals. If they ingest dog feces that are taking medicines then it can cause great harm to the tortoise.

bradtato

Richmond, VA
I also let mine roam around, but usually only for about 15 minutes or so, and only if he's been under his heat lamp for an hour or so before. I watch him closely, to ensure he's not going to eat anything or get stuck, and let everyone know he's roaming around so more care is taken when walking. His behavior changes a lot when he wants to go back to his table; he'll plop down and hide in his shell, or start seeking a warmer area, which is when I go and place him back near his heat lamp.

kezilulu

I'm from sunny England so during these cold months I put the fire on and then put a large plastic sheet down and cover that with Sheldon's own cotton sheet. I build soft barriers for him around the edges using old bed sheets etc and pop a few things in the middle like his man cave (a wooden hid thing) and a scrunched up pillow case and let him play in his bigger activity play pen. He leaves exploring and plotting ways to escape but I know he's safe as I'm like border patrol once he breaks out lol
I usually do this about 4 times a week so he can have a run around whilst keeping pretty warm and safe
xXx