New to the Tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

sweat044

5 Year Member
Hi Everyone!

My name is Chad and I am here looking for a tortoise for my 7 year old daughter. She is having a tough time since her mother passed away and it has been her dream to have a tortise. We just built and indoor and outdoor area for the tortise. She is a great girl. We live in Colorado Springs so it is tough to find one.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Chad:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!! Glad to have you with us. I hope you are able to find you daughter a tortoise. Take a look through our "For Sale" section and get the names of folks who have sold your type of tortoise in the past, then send them an email or PM and see if they have any more. Most folks will ship.

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
Hi Chad welcome to the forum :) what kind are you looking for ?

sweat044

5 Year Member
Thanks for all the warm welcomes. My daughter has been researching them night and day. Sorry if I spell any wrong. She likes Sulcatas, Leopards, Russian and Red toes. We built an enclosure to use inside and we have desgined and are building one for outside this weekend.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
While sulcatas make wonderful pets, they can also be very destructive. May I suggest either a Russian or a Redfoot for your first tortoise. I'd hate to see you bite off more than you can chew with a sulcata.

Robert

5 Year Member
Galaxy far, far away...
Welcome Chad. Sounds like you are working hard during a tough situation and I commend you for that. Best of luck.

Tortoises have been a great bonding experience for my daughters and I. I hope that you have the same experience. Building the enclosures, doing the research, learning about gardening and actually trying to grow weeds instead of getting rid of them, etc. These are all fun things that you and your daughter can do together and just have fun.

Check around and see if you have any 4H clubs in your area. My daughters are part of a 4H reptile club and it has been a very positive experience for the girls. If you have one in your area, your daughter might really enjoy it.

Good luck and welcome.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
:D Hi...again! I had suggested the CO reptile rescue, but they don't have any Russians or Redfoots. Have you checked local PetSmarts and such? Would you consider having one shipped to you?

You might consider getting a box turtle. That rescue has a bunch of beauties in need of homes and they are great just are turtles technically not tortoises.

sweat044

5 Year Member
Thanks everyone for the great information. It is a tough time almost the 1-year anniversary of our loss. We are trying to do something special and I think this would be a great thing to get her. I have been doing research and I am leaning towards a Russian. A member on the board is from Denver and he is giving me great advice and I think that would be the one for her. I am going to check out a couple places around town. I wouldn't mind if one was shipped. Thanks again and this community is truly amazing and embracing.

Status
Not open for further replies.