New to the forum - multiple questions

manzk4100

Hi, all, I'm a brand new tortoise owner- just got a tortoise yesterday. I have multiple questions/concerns, as you might imagine a brand new owner might. First; the species. When I purchased the tort it was in an enclosure that said "Greek and Russian Tortoise" so I assume it's either of those. However, I would really like to distinguish which species the tortoise is so I can give it the absolute best care it requires. Age approximation would be nice as well, and I have no idea if it was wild caught or captive bred, though I assume it was captive.ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1459645467.235095.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1459645493.309841.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1459645523.341990.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1459645556.608173.jpg

My next question is for his (he is named Caesar, by the way) health. Since I got him, he has seemed completely uninterested in anything but burrowing under his half log and... Sleeping, I presume. He hasn't had anything to eat (I put romaine lettuce, a cuttlebone, and a few dandelions in there for him to munch on, as well as those disgusting turtle pellets, although I've emphasized the romaine and dandelions). Is it stress that's bothering him? As far as I can tell he hasn't defecated either, not since I carried him around while picking up his supplies in the store. I soaked him in lukewarm water as soon as I woke up this morning and he did drink some of that, but since then he's had nothing. I want nothing but the best for him and am very worried for his overall health if he's not eating. Thank you all so much, will provide as much information as possible/within reason

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
it looks like a very very old Russian to me. I'm guesding male but a tail shot of the vent will help.as for its age no idea, but I would say 30 plus years easily.

manzk4100

it looks like a very very old Russian to me. I'm guesding male but a tail shot of the vent will help.as for its age no idea comma but I would say 30 plus years easily.
That might help to explain why he's not quite as active in his enclosure, although I still worry about his lack of eating. I was leaning towards Russian as well, though I was (wrongly) informed it was Greek

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
he is readjusting to a new environment it could take several days at least for him. to start eating again

Linhdan Nguyen

Maryland
I second on him being russian. How big is he?
And hello ! Welcome :)
Also, give it a few days to a week or 2. Some tortoises take longer than others to adjust.

manzk4100

I second on him being russian. How big is he?
And hello ! Welcome :)
Also, give it a few days to a week or 2. Some tortoises take longer than others to adjust.
Thank you for the help :), he's roughly 6 inches, not too big, not too small. He's very cute :)

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
at 6 inches if he's a male he won't get any bigger.

NDevon

North Devon, UK
He's a lovely looking tortoise, what a shame he's been sold on as I'm guessing he was a pet previously - it's not likely he would have been WC at this age and imported is it?

It's great to hear you want to give him the best life. I have baby Redfoots and even though they were not long from the egg it took them a long time to settle in their new home. Just keep to the routine, make sure he can find food and water and that the enclosure is set up as its meant to be wih the right environmental conditions, substrates, hides etc and in time when he's comfortable he will get a bit more active. Unless he just a really lazy tortoise, then he may not do much at all I guess! :D

They take a bit of time to settle, tortoises don't do anything in a hurry, the one thing they have is a lot of time.

Keep reading the forums, you will learn loads and evryone is so friendly and helpful, there are no silly questions, we've all asked them many times so feel free to ask again - everyone wants you to get it right.

And welcome :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California