New to the forum - Horsefield owner (advice please)

lois84

Location (City and/or State)
UK
Hi everyone, I have a young (1yr 7month) Horsefield tortoise called Ethel, she lives in a tortoise table with the UV lamp and heat lamp. I am worried she might be sick or too cold. Yesterday after work when I looked in on her she hadn't eaten any of her food that I had left in the morning and I don't think she had come out of her bed (hide). This morning I bathed her in warm water but although she was awake she didn't open her eyes, I put her back in her table and she seemed to walk back under the lamp but still don't think she opened up her eyes. As I left for work she was basking (or sleeping) under the heat lamp. This has only been going on for a day so don't know if I am over reacting or not. She is my first tortoise and although I have done my research I am still inexperienced, any advice would be welcomed.

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
What are your temps, what humidity level, and what type of lights are you using. Pictures are worth 1000 words so post some of your tort and of your enclosure so we can help.

lois84

UK
The temp under the lamp is 35 degrees. I'm not sure off the top of my head about the cool end, I only have a couple of pictures as i'm at work but will upload. The set up is exactly how I was told in the booklet given to me from the place I purchased her (http://www.thetortoiseshop.com/) here is the enclosure. image3 (3).JPG

Last edited:

russian/sulcata/tortoise

5 Year Member
Northern California, bay area
The temp under the lamp is 35 degrees. I'm not sure off the top of my head about the cool end, I only have a couple of pictures as i'm at work but will upload. The set up is exactly how I was told in the booklet given to me from the place I purchased her (http://www.thetortoiseshop.com/) here is the enclosure. View attachment 115174
is that a coil bulb? coil bulbs can blind tortoises. baby tortoises need lots go humidity, replace the substrate with something that can we moist. coco coir, cypress multi are both grate substrates when kept moist.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If the bulb sitting sideways in the table is a coiled bulb, that's your eye problem. Those bulbs harm tortoise's eyes. Soak your tortoise in warm water daily for about 20 minutes and put some soothing ointment on the eye a couple times a day. If your heat is coming from the other lamp, then you need to hand it straight down. At an angle like that the force of the heat is being directed out away from the floor of the habitat.

lois84

UK
Its not a coil in shape, but similar I guess, which bulb would you recommend for the UV? The bedding is aspen bedding but will look at the other ones you suggest.

Usually the lamp is angled right down but this picture was taken just after I had put the lid back on, so its usually right down into one area where she likes to sit. I should have added it is freezing in the UK at the moment so this may add to the slowing down of Ethel.

Thank you both for your advice

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I like to use orchid bark. It comes in several different sizes and I buy the small pieces. It's easy to walk on and doesn't cause impaction when accidentally eaten. Also, you can moisten it and it doesn't turn sour.

My bulb of choice is a Mercury Vapor Bulb. It provides heat and UVB all in one bulb.

russian/sulcata/tortoise

5 Year Member
Northern California, bay area
Its not a coil in shape, but similar I guess, which bulb would you recommend for the UV? The bedding is aspen bedding but will look at the other ones you suggest.

Usually the lamp is angled right down but this picture was taken just after I had put the lid back on, so its usually right down into one area where she likes to sit. I should have added it is freezing in the UK at the moment so this may add to the slowing down of Ethel.

Thank you both for your advice
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002AQDJK/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20 this is good.

lois84

UK
Thank you all for your welcomes and kind advice.

The bulb that is 2 in 1 is that any good? as I have seen conflicting information, a lot of people say they aren't as good? will go to pets at home to check out the different substrate this weekend.

Ethel seems a bit better anyway, when I got home yesterday she had eaten so was pleased about that. Received some advice from where I got her which I carried out and she opened one eye, hopefully if I keep up what they advised both eyes will be open again soon enough. Will be home all day tomorrow so can keep check on her all day.

I absolutely love the Daisy house! I have cats though and although they aren't that interested in Ethel I couldn't risk it.

Thanks again!