Horsefield tortoise

Hannah sellars

Location (City and/or State)
Uk
Hi, I have just got a horsefield tortoise, she's six years old and she's called bellatrix, I did my research before getting her, and made sure I have pretty much everything I need for her, she has a enclosure that's 120cm by 70cm she has a little house at the cool end and a hide at the hotter end, I have a bowl of water in too, her previous owner was a veterinary nurse. I got her Wednesday, since then she hasn't ate much, and mostly slept, her enclosure is the correct temperature (I have her lamps on 7-7) and I've checked it in the middle of the night to make sure it doesn't drop down to cold, she seems a little more confident but she's still not eating. I've tried everything, bananas are her favourite and she just doesn't seem interested.
Am I over reacting? Is this normal?

Also, she has wood chips in her enclosure, she has had them for around 2 years, am I OK to change this? Or will it upset her?

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Welcome Hannah! It’s totally normal that she’s not eating; she needs time to adjust to new surroundings. She’s also going to hide a lot until she feels more comfortable.

I’m glad to hear you’ve done your research but there is a great deal of information on the internet that is outdated. Take a look at the Russian care sheet: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/. After that you can ask any additional questions you have in the Russian subforum.

Please do not feed her bananas, ever. Her body is not made to digest sugars and they will upset the workings of her gut. She’ll eat when she gets hungry and she can go a looooong time without eating without harm.

You’ll see in the care sheet not to use wood chips. In my opinion you might as well change it now, rather than disrupt her again down the road. The care sheet will give you different types of substrate to consider.

We’re glad you’re here and look forward to answering more questions!

Hannah sellars

Uk
Welcome Hannah! It’s totally normal that she’s not eating; she needs time to adjust to new surroundings. She’s also going to hide a lot until she feels more comfortable.

I’m glad to hear you’ve done your research but there is a great deal of information on the internet that is outdated. Take a look at the Russian care sheet: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/. After that you can ask any additional questions you have in the Russian subforum.

Please do not feed her bananas, ever. Her body is not made to digest sugars and they will upset the workings of her gut. She’ll eat when she gets hungry and she can go a looooong time without eating without harm.

You’ll see in the care sheet not to use wood chips. In my opinion you might as well change it now, rather than disrupt her again down the road. The care sheet will give you different types of substrate to consider.

We’re glad you’re here and look forward to answering more questions!

Thanks for replying, I'm glad you think she's OK, it's nice to have reassurance.

I only tried bananas as her previous owner said she loved them, I also have tried strawberries and cucumber are they OK? And I was going to change her wood chips tomorrow to 'tortoise terrain substrate' from pets at home (it's winter so no where close has soil in store) is that OK? Thanks

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Thanks for replying, I'm glad you think she's OK, it's nice to have reassurance.

I only tried bananas as her previous owner said she loved them, I also have tried strawberries and cucumber are they OK? And I was going to change her wood chips tomorrow to 'tortoise terrain substrate' from pets at home (it's winter so no where close has soil in store) is that OK? Thanks

Your tort’s diet is a variety of weedy and leafy greens

She cannot digest sugars properly - they cause digestive and kidney problems - so all sweet foods including tomato, fruit, bell pepper and carrot should only be fed very sparingly and very occasionally if at all. No banana at all as that is far too sugary.

Cucumber is all water - no fibre or nutrients so of little value.

Forget the pets at home substrate and go to B& Q or Homebase garden section or to a garden centre and get coco coir or fine grade orchid bark. It’s the same stuff but much cheaper without a picture of a tortoise printed on the packet! Just make sure it contains no fertilisers or white bits that will encourage your tort to eat it (the branded tortoise stuff often does and it’s not healthy!)

If you do amazon you can get coco coir like this

And while you’re there get a temperature gun too