new to forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

normanshouse

5 Year Member
Hi All,

I'm interested in obtaining a Tortoise. I have no experience with them although I do have a great deal with turtles. My current residents include a six year old common snapper (big foot) and a five year old Alligator snapper (ally). Big foot has great personality and is gentle enough that he has visited my daughters grade school classroom where all the kids just loved him. Back to Tortoises, I have done a great deal of research on them and have narrowed it down to the Burmese Black/brown Mountain Tortoise (I prefer the eventual larger size of the adult), or the Black Greek Tortoises: Testudo graeca ibera. I love the Sulcata Tortoise, but after visiting and working with them a bit I think something a bit smaller would be on order. I own 50 acres in down state New York (near the PA border) and while summer time would not be a problem, the Tortoise would be in the house for the winters. If anyone has suggestions/comments please fell free !

Thanks

John

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:). Research on here for lots of info. Lot of info out there is wrong or outdated.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi John, and welcome to the Forum!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome. The Burmese mountain tortoises get darn near as big as some sulcatas. For your housing situation, I'd go with the greeks.

normanshouse

5 Year Member
Tom said:
Hello and welcome. The Burmese mountain tortoises get darn near as big as some sulcatas. For your housing situation, I'd go with the greeks.

Thanks Tom. I have gone through a LOT of information and posts including yours on lessons learned (most helpful, thank you). I want to do this right and am in no rush. I do like the larger torts, and do have some experience with the Sulcatas. I thought the brown Burmese being slightly smaller and a bit more personable (from what Ive read anyway) would be a possible match. Indoor housing in the winter would not be a problem as we have a very large home and I could easily construct a large indoors area with both the heat and humidity required. I do also like the Greek and the much small size would be far easier. Still looking.... Thanks....

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Hi John, and welcome to the forum. I'm so glad to see members coming here to learn about their new tortoises or future ones. Many of us, including me, came here only after something was wrong with our babies. Fortunately for my sullies, I was able to correct some things right away and now they are thriving. Make sure you share pics of whatever tort you decide to get.

normanshouse

5 Year Member
wellington said:
Hello and Welcome:). Research on here for lots of info. Lot of info out there is wrong or outdated.

Thanks, am in the process of doing just that. There is a LOT of conflicting info out there. Im especially concerned about finding reputable breeders of captive born Torts.

thanks again

John

normanshouse

5 Year Member
camping1 (3).jpgcamping1 (3).jpgcamping1 (3).jpg
sibi said:
Hi John, and welcome to the forum. I'm so glad to see members coming here to learn about their new tortoises or future ones. Many of us, including me, came here only after something was wrong with our babies. Fortunately for my sullies, I was able to correct some things right away and now they are thriving. Make sure you share pics of whatever tort you decide to get.

I will thanks !!

Last edited by a moderator:

mbrola

5 Year Member
I am learning with you John! So smart to plan ahead!

Status
Not open for further replies.