new to forum and new to caring for a tortoise

KarenC

Location (City and/or State)
MA
Hi everyone!
my name is Karen and my "zoo" consists of my 2 legged family - my husband (David), twin boys age 14 (Nick and Brendan), son age 10 (Collin) and daughter age 8 ( Jessie), and our 2 cats (Spunky & Bellatrix), 2 dogs (Baron and Finn), 2 rabbits (Cricket & Ozil), a hamster (S'mores), a ferret (Kicks), a beta fish (blueberry) and now a Russian Tortoise named Naomi who is about 5 years old. (she was given to us by a friend of mine who could not longer keeper her and is now co-owned by myself and one of my 14 year olds).
I have a lot of ?'s about housing, feeding and health, but will look around and read thru some other posts before asking.
I will say that I am looking to re-do her tank - and was wondering if it would be beneficial to have her soaking bowl in there.
looking forward to getting to know everyone and learning from all of you :)
Karen ( in MA)

stojanovski92113

Tortoise Club
Well hello & what a "zoo" you have! You will learn a lot of information here :) We love to see pics too of your tortoise!!

Falcon70

10 Year Member!
North Carolina
Welcome! A lot of people use terra cotta plant saucers as a water dish/soaking area since they are cheap and low to the ground making it safe for your tort to go in freely.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello Karen welcome to the TFO from AZ . Russians Rule ! Have a great tort day .

KarenC

MA
thanks for all the welcomes! I have read the care sheet and realize I really need to get the heat up in her tank (she's in a 40 gallon long tank) as her basking area only gets to about 80 degrees ( seeing it's in the low 20's here and was below 0 yesterday it's been a challenge to get it that high). Any suggestions for covering the wire top of her tank or other ways to get the heat up ? My friend gave us every things - tank set up, 3 lights a coil heat lamp - (no light it's ceramic) and a day time light and a light for night time, food and water dishes, there are rocks and she has a log to hide under but has been sleeping out side of it lately. I've seen the tables and would love to build one, but not sure where we would put it as our house is on the smaller side, she's in the boys bedroom on their low bureau now. I'm going to have to make a list of my ?'s and then see what answers I can find and what things I need clarified.
I'll try and post some photos.... once I read how :)
Karen

stojanovski92113

Tortoise Club
First thing....ditch the coil bulb!!! Start new and fresh with this tortoise! Coil bulbs can and may be extremely dangerous for your tortoise, can even cause blindness!

KarenC

MA
This one doesn't give off any light - just heat - it looks like a flat white ceramic circle with a raised coil design - it's not one of the bulbs that is the stand up coil type that actually lights up. (just want to make sure we are talking about the same type of bulb :) )
Karen

KarenC

MA
attempting to put up 2 photos - the one of the back of her shell is something I'm concerned about as it looks like it's cracked - is this something I should be worried about? ( I plan to see if there is a shell concerns thread and will add it there tomorrow) other photo is of my son holding her in front of our Christmas tree.
DSCN0313_zps15d9f060.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
DSCN0278_zpse11ae7fd.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Attachments

• DSCN0282.JPG
    DSCN0282.JPG
    8.4 MB · Views: 25
  • DSCN0404.JPG
    DSCN0404.JPG
    8.4 MB · Views: 19
Last edited:

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Welcome to the forum. A Russian tortoise does not need night heat. what type of UVB bulb do you have? The flat heat one is called a ceramic heat emitifier. Keep it because you may need it if you build a bigger table. If you could download pictures of the enclosure we can give you some ideas. They will get you through until you can build a new table. 

KarenC

MA
not 100% sure as it is the one that was given to us when we picked her up - I'll check later (after my boys wake up) and post. I'll also try and get some photos of her tank - I feel like it needs more - I know she needs a bigger hide area, and I'm thinking maybe live plants (the girl we got her from said there were fake ones but Naomi tried to eat them so she took them out). there is a mirror behind her tank and she likes to look at her reflection, but not sure if that's a good thing -lol.
after midnight here - off to be -
have a great night!
Karen

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome. That care sheet explains exactly how to heat and light them. If you basking spot is only 80, then you need to move the fixture closer or get a larger wattage bulb. Is it 80 directly under the bulb? Or are you using one of those stick on dial type thermometers?

We will help you get all set up. I don't see any crack in your pics, but the tortoise looks healthy. The white lines between the scutes is new growth, which is a good sign.

In addition to the care sheet linked above, read these ones too:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread...or-other-herbivorous-tortoise-species.107734/

KarenC

MA
Thanks :) we have both one inside the tank for heat and one for humidity and then a digital that has a sensor in the tank (I have it about 1/2 way down the on the back inside - by where she tends to sleep, so not directly under the heat source. I will read the links in the morning :) Thanks for all the help :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Karen, and welcome to the Forum!

KarenC

MA
Thanks - can't ditch the mirror as it is part of the bureau - but I will figure out a way to put something on the back of her tank.

KarenC

MA
Thanks for all the welcomes! :) I just checked her bulbs - I do need to ditch one as it is a coil bulb - it says 20 watt Desert on it, the other is the ceramic heat one (too hot to unscrew right now and I don't want to turn it off as her tank is only at 75 degrees) the night time one is an Exo Terra Night Glo 120v 60hz 50 w. so we have 3 domes for the lights - what should we have instead? I've attached a photo of her tank - it's a 40 long made for reptiles (Zoo Med. maybe - not 100% sure as we didn't buy it everything was given to us with Naomi.). I feel like it's kind of boring - when I have more time I'll spend sime time reading and looking on enclosure threads - but am welcome to any advice or suggestions :)

Attachments

• DSCN0640.JPG
    DSCN0640.JPG
    7.5 MB · Views: 14