New to CDTs - just got two little ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.

debryman

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Joshua Tree, CA
They will be 3 years old this summer and have been kept indoors most of the time in Orange County, CA. I am in Joshua Tree, CA and have become their new mama.

image.jpg

We have been spending the past few days researching and are hoping to have a nice big area out in our desert home area for them to roam soon. We are very predator conscious and will keep this in mind while constructing. Very excited and open to any advice on these two cuties!

Last edited by a moderator:

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
welcome...
while small and outside... (best place for them to be!) be sure to have a cover of some sort to keep Ravens and such out, but still let the sun in.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi debryman, and welcome to the Forum!!

It would be a good idea to sink your waterer down into the ground so the top edge, or lip, is even with the ground. The tortoises are very nice-looking desert tortoises.

debryman

5 Year Member
Joshua Tree, CA
Laura said:
welcome...
while small and outside... (best place for them to be!) be sure to have a cover of some sort to keep Ravens and such out, but still let the sun in.

Thank you Laura. We will be using aviary wire for sides and bird netting over the top. I have chickens as well and had to deal with the same type of predators when they were babies. We have lots of ravens in the area and some hawks as well. I hope it all works cause I'm really falling for these little sweeties!

debryman

5 Year Member
Joshua Tree, CA
Yvonne G said:
Hi debryman, and welcome to the Forum!!

It would be a good idea to sink your waterer down into the ground so the top edge, or lip, is even with the ground. The tortoises are very nice-looking desert tortoises.

Thank you Yvonne. I actually just got a new heavier dish that is a bit shallower and wider. I will take your advice and sink it to be even with the ground. I'm so happy to have found this forum!

thatrebecca

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, CA
They're SO cute!! How are they so clean? My CDTs rummage in the dirt and get filthy the second they come out of a soak.

tyrs4u

5 Year Member
Portland, OR.
Ewww Joshua tree :) I lived in Palm Desert for 30 years. & all my 40+ y/o friends lived in JT & Yucca valley ... But great torts :)

debryman

5 Year Member
Joshua Tree, CA
tyrs4u said:
Ewww Joshua tree :) I lived in Palm Desert for 30 years. & all my 40+ y/o friends lived in JT & Yucca valley ... But great torts :)

Haha - I'm 50+ and loving it. Only been here 5 years, came from Washington State where I lived for 40 years. I will live here til I die :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome.

Fruit is not so good for them. They need weeds, grass, leaves, spineless opuntia cactus pads, and leafy greens.

Good luck with them. Hope we can help.

debryman

5 Year Member
Joshua Tree, CA
thatrebecca said:
They're SO cute!! How are they so clean? My CDTs rummage in the dirt and get filthy the second they come out of a soak.

They are still a little sleepy. I also just learned by reading some threads that they should have soapy baths. I haven't done it yet but can't wait to do it tomorrow! We'll see how clean they stay after that!

tortoise007

5 Year Member
Phoenix AZ aria
Tom said:
Hello and welcome.

Fruit is not so good for them. They need weeds, grass, leaves, spineless opuntia cactus pads, and leafy greens.

What Tom said :p lettuce isn't good either.

Oh is there another larger tortoise in there with them? If there is, that can be very dangerous. could you post mare pics of your enclosure? maybe one shot from far away so we can see the whole thing.

debryman

5 Year Member
Joshua Tree, CA
Tom said:
Hello and welcome.

Thank you Tom. I did give them a little sliver of cantaloupe but they really weren't interested,so that worked out good :) I have lots of the spineless cactus and was wondering if I should cut it up for them since they are so young still. The cactus still have those flower nugget things on them. They eat those too right?

debryman

5 Year Member
Joshua Tree, CA
tortoise007 said:
Tom said:
Hello and welcome.

What Tom said :p lettuce isn't good either.

Oh is there another larger tortoise in there with them? If there is, that can be very dangerous. could you post mare pics of your enclosure? maybe one shot from far away so we can see the whole thing.

Right now they are just in a little screen topped 3'x3'x8" box with no bottom. I have only had them for four days. We will be building a bigger better enclosure this weekend. I am giving them romaine and some spinach as well as some weeds and desert dandelions. I will give them mulberry leaves tomorrow as I read they can have those too. Also - it is just the two them.

debryman

5 Year Member
Joshua Tree, CA
I have replied to several of your posts but they are not appearing yet. I think it's because I'm new... I hope they show up soon because I am very greatful for all the advice and have a few questions as well...

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Welcome to the Forum :D and beautiful torts....is that a tortoise shell hide or is that a third tort in with them....red leaf lettuce, green leaf lettuce and romaine are all great sources of super hydration and are aok as part of their overall diet....I also would be careful of fruit, but more because of the huge attraction for swarms of ants....so I would only offer the fruit as a treat and do so away from the normal spots that they hang out in....:D

alysciaingram

5 Year Member
Florida
I loved JT. I went to college there and lived in 29 for a while before going back to the east coast.
Your torts are beautiful! You'll fall in love faster than you would believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.