Arnold_rules

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Gilbert, AZ
debryman said:
tortoise007 said:
Tom said:
Hello and welcome.

Fruit is not so good for them. They need weeds, grass, leaves, spineless opuntia cactus pads, and leafy greens.

Good luck with them. Hope we can help.

What Tom said :p lettuce isn't good either.

Oh is there another larger tortoise in there with them? If there is, that can be very dangerous. could you post mare pics of your enclosure? maybe one shot from far away so we can see the whole thing.

Right now they are just in a little screen topped 3'x3'x8" box with no bottom. I have only had them for four days. We will be building a bigger better enclosure this weekend. I am giving them romaine and some spinach as well as some weeds and desert dandelions. I will give them mulberry leaves tomorrow as I read they can have those too. Also - it is just the two them.

Your head is probably spinning from al the input, but shouldn't give them spinach, it affects calcium. Try collard or mustard greens to see if they like it.

debryman

5 Year Member
Joshua Tree, CA
Arnold_rules said:
debryman said:
tortoise007 said:
Tom said:
Hello and welcome.

Fruit is not so good for them. They need weeds, grass, leaves, spineless opuntia cactus pads, and leafy greens.

Good luck with them. Hope we can help.

What Tom said :p lettuce isn't good either.

Oh is there another larger tortoise in there with them? If there is, that can be very dangerous. could you post mare pics of your enclosure? maybe one shot from far away so we can see the whole thing.

Right now they are just in a little screen topped 3'x3'x8" box with no bottom. I have only had them for four days. We will be building a bigger better enclosure this weekend. I am giving them romaine and some spinach as well as some weeds and desert dandelions. I will give them mulberry leaves tomorrow as I read they can have those too. Also - it is just the two them.

Your head is probably spinning from al the input, but shouldn't give them spinach, it affects calcium. Try collard or mustard greens to see if they like it.

Thank you. I woke up this morning and went right into eating research and what do I find? NO on the spinach and now you have backed that up. I am making a list of the ok plants and will add your suggestions. This is definitely a lot of info but better too much than not enough! Thanks again :)

debryman said:
thatrebecca said:
They're SO cute!! How are they so clean? My CDTs rummage in the dirt and get filthy the second they come out of a soak.

They are still a little sleepy. I also just learned by reading some threads that they should have soapy baths. I haven't done it yet but can't wait to do it tomorrow! We'll see how clean they stay after that!

Oops. I meant SOAKY not soapy bath. Auto correct always has a mind of its own :p

ascott said:
Welcome to the Forum :D and beautiful torts....is that a tortoise shell hide or is that a third tort in with them....red leaf lettuce, green leaf lettuce and romaine are all great sources of super hydration and are aok as part of their overall diet....I also would be careful of fruit, but more because of the huge attraction for swarms of ants....so I would only offer the fruit as a treat and do so away from the normal spots that they hang out in....:D

That is a hard plastic fake shell that they use to hide in. They are growing out of it though so time for new digs this weekend. Thank you for your advice. I appreciate all the help I can get :)

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
if you notice they aren't drinking... try running a hose.. they seem to like puddles,, like after a big rain... water run off..

debryman

5 Year Member
Joshua Tree, CA
Here is a better pic of their temporary enclosure:

image.jpg

We will be finishing their substantially bigger one this weekend. I now have the on Mulberry leaves, Gazania leaves and Desert Dandelions. They are eating, drinking and pooping so, so far so good...

Last edited by a moderator:

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Alta Loma, CA
They sure are beautiful tortoises. I love Desert tortoises. They are very personable and love attention.

I would plant some tall fescue grass (which mine love to hide in) and also other plants in the enclosure which will provide more hiding spots and also provide more shade. I have planted a Hisbisus plant and a grape vine in my Desert tortoises enclosure. :)

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I would also provide a couple shade spots....perhaps set a potted plant or two on top of the wire to shade to be cast from the plants....

debryman

5 Year Member
Joshua Tree, CA
ascott said:
I would also provide a couple shade spots....perhaps set a potted plant or two on top of the wire to shade to be cast from the plants....

Thank you - there is usually a plank of wood held down by rocks that covers about half of this little enclosure. They definitely have shade in there. I just removed it to get a good pic of them. I am going to transplant some of the things they can eat from the desert into their new bigger enclosure. The wind has been so bad here that building is going slower than I'd hoped.

Thanks again for all your suggestions. It's greatly appreciated!

Status
Not open for further replies.