New Sulcata Tortoise

Martinpj10

Location (City and/or State)
Lyons, Mich.
Hello, we inherited a three year Sulcata Tortoise, his name is Walter. He has lots of personality, and is enjoying his diet of mineral enriched greens and dried grass hay. Along with some cut up fruits and vegetables. Walter loves being outside. However it's winter time in Michigan. Walter is currently in an 3x5 foot area, with plans to knock out a wall and turn a closet along with his current area into his winter quarters for now till he grows larger. Can you guide us along in this journy as we are learning as we go?

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Hello, and welcome to the forum!

We have a few members who house their sullies in the house for winter. Some converted an entire room, and some use the basement.

I wish I could remember more of them, but Mark uses his basement.

@Maro2Bear

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Hello, and welcome to the forum!

We have a few members who house their sullies in the house for winter. Some converted an entire room, and some use the basement.

I wish I could remember more of them, but Mark uses his basement.

@Maro2Bear

Yes, It gets easier year after year once your dedicated “tortoise area” is established.

@vladimir is up in Pennsylvania, cold & snowy up there as well.

Our “Sully” loves her den, radiant heat panel in the roof, nice large Kane mat on the floor. A nice thick layer of cypress mulch.

Her she is taking a look see..

3367FD6C-977F-4076-A773-1944182A71AD.jpeg

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Welcome, I noticed you said you are feeding fruits. Fruits are not good for sulcata's. My sully might get 1 strawberry or a bite of mango every 3 months. The sugar is not good for them.
Pics of Walter would be great. We love pics!

Martinpj10

Lyons, Mich.
Before we got Walter he was fed fruit and lettuce, and had no weight. A tiny bit of apple is just to ween him. He is putting on weight now. Walter has some substance to him he didn't have before. And seems to be growing. Thank you for the tip, we appreciate any all helpful information.

Welcome, I noticed you said you are feeding fruits. Fruits are not good for sulcata's. My sully might get 1 strawberry or a bite of mango every 3 months. The sugar is not good for them.

[/QUOT

Emmawilly

Plymouth
Hello! Be lovely to see some pictures of Walter. I'm a new(ish) member too. My sully is 11 years old and we house him outside in a shed with the similar set up as Maro2Bear suggested (radiant heat panel, heat mat on floor and access to outside). My sully is a little underweight but flourishing now with advice from those on the forum. The most important thing I've learnt is to stabilise and increase the heat, correct the diet and soak him. Good luck with Walter

Martinpj10

Lyons, Mich.
Thank you, my wife has spent countless hours researching their diets. He has put on a lot of weight since he came home. And yes he loves his tubs. Gets excited when he sees that. Thanks for the input will have some pictures shortly.

Martinpj10

Lyons, Mich.
Hello! Be lovely to see some pictures of Walter. I'm a new(ish) member too. My sully is 11 years old and we house him outside in a shed with the similar set up as Maro2Bear suggested (radiant heat panel, heat mat on floor and access to outside). My sully is a little underweight but flourishing now with advice from those on the forum. The most important thing I've learnt is to stabilise and increase the heat, correct the diet and soak him. Good luck with Walter
Resized_20201009_134050(1).jpegResized_20201116_113240.jpeg

Martinpj10

Lyons, Mich.
Walter is a little larger than a football, and maybe 5 lbs. Wich is a huge gain compared to when he came to live with us.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Before we got Walter he was fed fruit and lettuce, and had no weight. A tiny bit of apple is just to ween him. He is putting on weight now. Walter has some substance to him he didn't have before. And seems to be growing. Thank you for the tip, we appreciate any all helpful information.
Great you are trying to ween him off fruit.
The sugars are bad for the kidneys. No apple seeds, to many can be poisonous.