New Sulcata Tortoise introducing myself!

derek3men

Location (City and/or State)
Houston, TX
Hello all! Derek here. So I recently inherited a baby Sulcata tortoise from my friend. He said he no longer wanted it and I gladly took him off his hands. He gave me their glass tank and a bag of spring mix and he said that's all it needs, but Ive been doing a lot reading and I think that's incorrect. However I'm glad I found this site and wanted to introduce myself and the little guy. This is Booger! Any tips or links or anything to help a first time tortoise owner is much appreciated 😁.

Attachments

• 20231212_130941.jpg
    20231212_130941.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 2
  • 20231212_131001.jpg
    20231212_131001.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 2

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
Definitely start here:

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Welcome to the forum! Be sure to also read this if you haven't already :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello all! Derek here. So I recently inherited a baby Sulcata tortoise from my friend. He said he no longer wanted it and I gladly took him off his hands. He gave me their glass tank and a bag of spring mix and he said that's all it needs, but Ive been doing a lot reading and I think that's incorrect. However I'm glad I found this site and wanted to introduce myself and the little guy. This is Booger! Any tips or links or anything to help a first time tortoise owner is much appreciated 😁.
Hello and welcome!

Looks like you have the wrong type of fixture and the wrong bulbs. Also, be careful that the paper touching your heat lamp doesn't start a fire.

Everything is explained in the thread that has been linked for you, and there is a care sheet, plus a heating/lighting breakdown near the bottom of that thread. Questions and conversation are welcome.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
In case you haven't figured it out yet, your friend was no friend to the poor sulcata.
Please read all the threads linked for you and make changes ASAP before it's too late for the little guy.

derek3men

Houston, TX
Definitely start here:

Thank you so much! Checking it out

derek3men

Houston, TX
Hello and welcome!

Looks like you have the wrong type of fixture and the wrong bulbs. Also, be careful that the paper touching your heat lamp doesn't start a fire.

Everything is explained in the thread that has been linked for you, and there is a care sheet, plus a heating/lighting breakdown near the bottom of that thread. Questions and conversation are welcome.
Thank you for pointing this out! Really trying to do right by the little one.