Introducing myself-Om Shahi

ompshahi

Hello Everyone,
I just wanted to introduce myself to this forum since I am very new-I just joined today.My name is Om Shahi and I live in Cypress,Texas,a northwestern suburb of Houston.Last Friday,I found a turtle/tortoise in my backyard and I am not quite able to identify which species it belongs to.It is a big,has a relatively long tail,a dark carapace with a tinge of yellow mottled into it,and five toenails.Where can I upload a picture of it so that our testudine/chelonian experts or buffs can ID it?Please let me know.I am extremely elated to be a member of this forum.

Sincerely,
Om

tortdad

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NW Houston TX
Hello Everyone,
I just wanted to introduce myself to this forum since I am very new-I just joined today.My name is Om Shahi and I live in Cypress,Texas,a northwestern suburb of Houston.Last Friday,I found a turtle/tortoise in my backyard and I am not quite able to identify which species it belongs to.It is a big,has a relatively long tail,a dark carapace with a tinge of yellow mottled into it,and five toenails.Where can I upload a picture of it so that our testudine/chelonian experts or buffs can ID it?Please let me know.I am extremely elated to be a member of this forum.

Sincerely,
Om

Welcome. I too live in cypress Tx, off 290 and musheke rd. you've most likely found a red ear slider but we'll know for sure once you post a picture.

ompshahi

Hello Grandpa Turtle 144,just from my description,could you tell me what species of turtle or tortoise I have?

ompshahi

Hello Tortdad,I do not think it is a Red Eared Slider because it does not have any red in it and seems like a land-only turtle(tortoise) and not a pond or bog dweller.How and where can I upload pictures of it?

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
Hello Tortdad,I do not think it is a Red Eared Slider because it does not have any red in it and seems like a land-only turtle(tortoise) and not a pond or bog dweller.How and where can I upload pictures of it?
I use the app so I don't remember how to load pictures when using the actual website. Let me see if I can find out for you. Does it look like this?
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1436465813.090574.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1436465823.792985.jpg

Or more like this
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1436465920.017163.jpg

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
Look in the bottom right corner of the area where you type a reply and you'll see a button that says "more options" click that and then click upload file.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum, OM!

Sosakan

It is a white button that says "upload a file".

Anywho, a very big welcome to you!

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Yes it's a RES no question about it !!!

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
And it can only eat if it gets its head under water !

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Hello and Welcome to the forum. Good to have you here! ! ! !

ompshahi

Thank you everyone for your cordial and hospitable welcome.I am uploading the JPG file picture of my tortoise.Please help me by elucidating and enlightening me on what species it belongs to.I would greatly appreciate this. Thank you very much.

Sincerely,
OmBackyard Tortoise.JPG

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
That is an older aquatic turtle of some kind. Slider or cooter? Is there water near you? It can only eat & excrete in water.

ompshahi

I do not think that it is a slider or cooter.There is no body of water in close proximity to me and it seems like a land-only turtle(tortoise).It could be an enlarged version of a common box turtle such as an eastern or ornate box tortoise.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Does it have webbed feet? Aquatic turtle
Little pointy nose designed to poke out of the water? Aquatic turtle

Hinged plastron? Box turtle.

This is an aquatic turtle of some kind. I don't know what kind or how it got there.